Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You really should get one of these.....

You really should get one of these.....

I've owned my 5 acres for 7 yrs now and I've struggled with keeping the place mowed constantly until yesterday...

I finally broke down and bought one of these...

Swisher 60" finish mower

I'm telling you as God as my witness... I wish someone would kick my butt for not getting one of these self powered pull behind finish mowers.. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I started at around 6pm to mower about 3.5 acres and was done in 1 hour...!
    I have a 54" cut 26 hp Huskee (TSC) and now with this 60" finish mower... I'm cutting 9' paths [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I knew getting one of these would make things easier, but I could hardly believe how much. Before It would take me every bit of 6-8 hrs or sometimes more if I had to use the brush hog to cut thing down because I didn't have time to mow it the previous month or something.
    Now,...? This is going to be nice to be able to keep the whole yard mowed and looking good year round and not take all day to do it either.

So if you have more than a couple acres, I suggest very strongly about getting this type of finishing mower to pull behind your lawn tractor to double your cutting capibillities while reducing the time spent doing it.... I wish I had listened to myself yrs ago and had gotten one. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: You really should get one of these.....

No Thanks, I'll stay with the 60 in. MMM on my little Kubota B7100. It does not even require a separate Engine! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And you paid how much for that Kubota ? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I would love to have a new tractor, but I really have no need for it, at least not enough to warrant spending $16,000 (I would have to have several attachments)

I would have loved to have gotten a hydrostatic with a zero turn radius, but again, your looking at some serious money and you at best can only cut 60" at a time.

I have a perfectly good 54" 26 hp Garden tractor that I paid $2800 for. I've had it 3 or 4 yrs now and never had a lick of trouble with it and still is like new. I just needed to cut more grass.. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I thought about getting a 7 reel mower, but the problem with that is if my grass gets too tall from one of my extended stays on the road, I'm screwed... not to mention all those blades that would need to be kept sharpen, it would take me a whole day just for that. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

With this Swisher mowing deck, I can use it as an offset mower to cut in tandem with my riding mower. If something happens like I broke a belt... I still could use the Swisher.
    If I want, I could buy a 4 wheeler and use it to pull the finish mower, but that is so Hillbillish, I just cannot ever imagine myself being that desperate... [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Like I said, I would love to have your setup, but on the other hand, I like being about to mow 4 acres in 2-3hrs [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I think my choice wouyld still be the Kubota. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It does it all withoutan extra motor. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

OK fine... I'll make a deal with you [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

You come down here when I need tractor work and I'll go up there and cut your grass... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I used to use a Swisher finish mower. The only problem I had with it when pulling w/ ATV was backing up with it. It also was a SOB to get strted when it was cold.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I used to use a Swisher finish mower. The only problem I had with it when pulling w/ ATV was backing up with it. It also was a SOB to get started when it was cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are people that couldn't backup a grocery cart at Walmart... its not a concept that is easily understood. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sounds like you had carburetor issues if it was hard starting.

I have a old Poland chain saw that is a SOB to start, then again its 25 yrs old too [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Granted the grass had only grown about 2" in the last week, but I gave it the time and gas test yesterday.

It took me 2 hrs to mow aprox 3.5 acres and 1/2 tank on each machine which equals to a total of 2 gals.
    Before I used 3 to 3.5 gals and it would take me aprox 6 hours.
    2 passes = 18 feet of cutting... It would take me 4 to 5 passes with a 54" mowing deck to accomplish the same.

I will admit I pulled a bone head move.... it has 2 switches on the mower, the ignition switch and the on and off toggle switch. The last time I used it, I turned it off , but left the ignition switch on... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

This unit is not without a design flaw that I have discovered... [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

The U shape tongue is too short and limits your turning radius and will caved in/ damage the hitch part of your mower.

I will have to add some type of triangle metal extension, bolted on with the point facing the rear. This will extend the hitch and give it more swing room.

I might even have to lengthen the tabs where the pin goes thru. This is the problem to begin with... The hitch part of the tongue is only about 1.5" long that doesn't allow for reasonable turns without going up against the mower body.

Whichever I end up doing, modifying, I still recommend getting one or something similar if you have more than 2 acres of pasture to mow.

If only I had smooth enough ground that I could use my lawn tractor on my pastures.... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I have to stick to my rotary cutter. I could use a flail mower once everything is cut down at least once, but I don't have one of those. But the good news is that it doesn't need it's own motor [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img].

I have a 54" cut 26 HP Huskee (TSC) and now with this 60" finish mower... I'm cutting 9' paths
    Handyman
    ================
    My and my wife cut a 9 foot swath like so.
    Her on the CC GT2554 with the 54'' deck.
    Me following along behind her on the BX23 with the 60'' MMM.

Don't take long to mow our 2.33 acres this way. [color:brown] [/color]
    lb
    3 Kubotas
    1 BX23
    2 BX1500s

I have a 54" cut 26 HP Huskee (TSC) and now with this 60" finish mower... I'm cutting 9' paths
    Handyman
    ================
    My and my wife cut a 9 foot swath like so.
    Her on the CC GT2554 with the 54'' deck.
    Me following along behind her on the BX23 with the 60'' MMM.

Don't take long to mow our 2.33 acres this way. <font color="brown"> </font color>
    lb
    3 Kubotas
    1 BX23
    2 BX1500s