Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stinky Drain

Stinky Drain

I sometimes get a bad smell from the drain in one of my bathroom sinks. Any ideas on what I can use to clean it up a little. It's not constant, just once in a while.

The drain's not plugged or running slow. Just a little smelly. Probably some "stuff" coating the plastic tailpiece and trap sections.

Thinking maybe some baking soda wouldn't hurt.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Re: Stinky Drain

Gary, it's an odd coincidence but my wife pulled the pop-up stopper out of one of the lavatories in the master bath day before yesterday. I discovered that the end of the pop-up ball rod had corroded and disappeared. All the drain assembly was plastic (a combination of white and grey PVC stuff). And when I took it apart, I couldn't believe how nasty it was; however, we had not noticed any smell. There are so many drain cleaners on the market that I don't know what's best, but I'm in the process of treating all our drains with something called "Drain Care" from Home Depot. I got three 64 oz. jugs of it.

With my usual luck, I took that drain assembly out and cleaned it up to go find a new pop-up ball rod; went to 2 Home Depots, one Lowe's, and 3 plumbing supply companies in 3 different cities. They all have some but none with a ball the size of mine. Everyone just suggested replacing the whole assembly with a new metal one.

I hate plumbing work, but I replaced the assembly under one lavatory yesterday evening and the other one this morning with new brass assemblies. And the drains do drain faster now. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I was out today, but didn't make it to Lowes or HD. Maybe Tuesday on the way home from work. The drain's not clogged just dirty. I did see some stuff on the net called a Drain Sanitizer. Maybe that's what I need.
    Gary

A drain sanitizer would sound like the right thing. This "Drain Care" that I bought is probably about the same. It says it is not for drains that are stopped up with no flow; they have to be opened by another method before using this stuff.

Gary, Is it possible that you have a venting problem? Is your drain vented to the roof or does it have a vacuum breaker thingy that if malfunctioned or clogged can let vapors from the drain lines get back into the house.

My wife claims that one side of our double sink smells, the garbage disposal side. In the past I have cured the problem by cleaning the underside of the rubber thing below where the stopper fits. I think part of her problem is psychosomatic in that she likes to put the stopper in the side of the sink where the disposal is but leaves the other side unplugged. They are directly interconnected!

The other kitchen sink is a large single and we have used packets of foaming disposer cleaner in it before I realized the simple cure was washing the underside of the rubber gizmo where STUFF collects and breeds smelly critters.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hi Pat.

It's roof vented and the water runs well so I don't think that's the issue. About four months ago I pulled the stopper and it was kind of "icky" around the bottom. I washed it off and dropped it back in the drain hole.

I'm stopping at the "big box store" tonight on the way home and I'll see what they have. i'm also going to look through my Grainger catalog and see if they have anything. The sanitizer mentioned by Bird is probably what I need.
    Gary

Gary, catch a cold, the drain smell should then go away!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Good idea Egon !

But the issue's with my Mom. How do I get her a cold?
    Gary

Ooh - That is a very different scenario. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The drain issue must now be resolved post haste.

I have no solutions in mind other than an application of lye or caustic soda followed by a good flush of very hot water. This may not be the desired treatment. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Egon

I bought a bottle of "Garbage Disposal Cleaner". It's supposed to remove odors and grease buildup in the unit. Contains "surficants" (soap), and deodorizers. Dropped 3-4 Oz down the drain. We'll see if there's any improvement noted. Or at least no more complaints! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Smells pretty good to me.
    Gary