Thread: Poultry Processing (Not DIY)

Poultry Processing (Not DIY)

Hi folks,
    Been a while... We have a "Farmette" with several types of poultry/fowl - chickens, pekin & muscovey ducks, bronzeback turkeys and toulouse geese. We have in the past butchered all of these in a onezy-twozy manner. Right now we have about 30 birds that need to be dispatched. Neither my wife nor I are great at the process, but can hack our way through 1 or 2, neither of us are excited about doing 30 at a time! I have looked high and low for a local small time processor that would do the butchering for us, but cannot find anyone that can/will do it. USDA processors won't touch it, and the deer/hog guys don't either.
    Anyone out there have a suggestion, other than the obvious -suck it up and DIY!

Thanks,
    Dob
    Loganville, GA
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

Re: Poultry Processing (Not DIY)

I was in a similar situation. I got a name of a small place from the Ag instructor at the high school. Also, contact your county ag agent. He will have names of small poultry butchers he uses after the county fair.....

Thanks for the tip. I suppose I need to move my search a little farther out - I've tried the 3 most local extension offices. As the top broiler producing state, you'd think I'd have better luck!
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

Last year I paid a buck and half per chicken to an amish guy and his sons who occasionally butcher other folks' chickens. I'll be doing my own this year. Just ordered yesterday. 50 cornish cross, 25 rhode island red (to up the egglaying herd) and 15 turkeys.