Thread: YEAST IN CATTLE FOOD

YEAST IN CATTLE FOOD

Anybody add yeast to cattle feed to aid in digestion?

I have a heifer that has the squirts, maybe only because of the abundance of spring growth, but I'd like for her not to get in trouble. I bought anti-scour medication but would rather try something a little less invasive.

So anybody use yeast?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Re: YEAST IN CATTLE FOOD

Dave, I never heard of anyone using yeast in cattle feed. When I was a kid, we used to buy the "day old" bread from the local bakery for 3 cents a loaf to feed our hogs. But a few years ago, I was talking to a neighbor who said he used to do the same thing, but that he once bought 6 heifers of breeding age and was also feeding them that bread. He said after a year and a half and still none of them pregnant, he asked and someone told him he might as well slaughter them for meat because, having eaten all that bread, they'd never get pregnant. He attributed it, right or wrong, to the yeast. So that's the only time I'd heard that.

Re: YEAST IN CATTLE FOOD

I do not think the type of yeast commonly fed to cattle is the same stuff you buy at the grocery store. If you do a google search for feed yeast to cattle you will get pages of info. Here is one. http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2...ry/CT188.shtml