Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: whole house water filter

whole house water filter

Hi folks,
    I finally had my well water tested at the local facility, and I was told the water is potable. Yippee. However, my water has the rotten egg smell and also has a saltiness to it. I believe the saltiness might be attributed to the fact that the water drops off a limestone shelf as the well fills. The facility didn't test for minerals so I really don't know what's in the water, only that there's no bad bacteria. So here's my question. Will a Reverse Osmosis Filtering system at the point of entry into my house remove the sulfur smell and the saltiness? The salt isn't thick, just a slight taste of it. I've been looking at the RO systems and what I've read leads me to believe that the RO can eliminate many unwanted or unpleasant minerals. Will someone please clarify this for me? I don't mind spending a few bucks to clean the water, but I don't want to waste money on a system that's not going to have much effect. Thanks for the help everyone.

Dusty

Re: whole house water filter

Most household RO systems usually require a low TDS.

Egon

Are you talking about your whole house of just for your drinking water?

Either way, you will need a water analysis. RO's need relatively clean water to start with.

If you go with whole house RO, you will need a storage tank, another pump and pressure tank and probably filtration in front of it.

bob...

As Speedbump says, you need a water analysis. It should include hardness, iron and ph at least. Sodium, chlorides and sulfates would be nice.

You really don't want POE RO and if you have copper plumbing you can't run RO water through it without adding hardness back into it or it will eat the copper really quick. RO is not going to work on H2S, so you'd need to remove that first.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

Thanks, guys. I'm not sure where to get my water tested for minerals and such.
    I've read about RO systems but I don't fully understand their function, except to provide clean drinking water. My water is clear. I use a sediment filter, but it doesn't do anything to take out the sulfur smell or the saltiness. My plumbing needs are primarily a kitchen sink, a bathroom sink, a toilet and a shower.
    I've used my water as is for cleaning and bathing, but I'd like to at least remove the smell. What filtering systems are available besides the RO systems. As I've looked on the internet, all I've done is gotten more confused by the different systems. My water is plenty soft, I don't need to soften it anymore. My pipes are cpvc, not copper.
    Thanks again for the help.

ROs reduce TDS. Most RO membranes can handle up to 2000 ppm TDS. So they do not require low TDS water.

A TDS measurement before and after an RO tells you when to replace the membrane; that's when the % reduction decreases toward the raw water TDS. When new, the average RO reduces TDS between 90-99 %. That's how you tell it is working; a TDS test.

Any lab or water treatment dealer can do the tests. Although a dealer usually won't do a sodium test.

There are many types of treatment for odor but the odor has to be identified. Is it chemical or H2S or like H2S (rotten egg or sulfur)?

If chemical, then carbon is used. If H2S, then an oxidizer is used. They are air/oxygen, chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, ozone or an oxidizing mineral in a filter that is either regenerated with something or simply backwashed. If there is no (type) of bacteria, you can sometimes use Centaur carbon.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

If you can taste the salt there is TOO MUCH!

I just installed 4 undercounter water filters and little countertop faucets. You can get cartridges to remove just about anything. Treating all the water, even to flush toilets and do laundry might be a tad costly.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, you know of a disposable cartridge that will remove sodium and/or chlorides that are responsible for a "salty" taste? I'd like to know what is it.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

C'mon Gary, you know better than that! Surely you should know more about available treatment than the average bear. No doubt a trick question since there probably is no simple commercial cart avail for salt!

OK, What year were North Hampton United the all England football champions? RIIIIINNNNNGGGGG Times up! Sorry, that was inded a trick question as North Hampton United have never been all England football champions!

You might find something to charge a resin bed with to do an ion exchange to remove sodium from water but you probably wouldn't want to drink the water.

If your question is punishment for making a broad statement about there being cartridges for all sorts of stuff then I promise to say three hail Caesars and go and polute no more.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"