OK, this may be too controversial for a friendly forum, and the moderators may remove my post, but here goes: I sent the following e-mail to my state representative.

I am working under the assumption that KVUE-TV, Austin, Texas, during its 5:00 PM newscast on April 17th, reported that State buildings will have their flags flown at half-staff in memory of the students murdered in Virginia.

It was a terribly regrettable situation, and mere words cannot convey my emotion. My emotions, however, are moved in another, opposite direction when I hear that Texas state buildings will lower their flags in response to that event.

The action of lowering the flags to half-staff has traditionally been reserved as a sign of respect for a fallen head of state-- the President of the United States or the Governor. The shooting at Virginia Tech is a tragedy, but does not warrant Texas' flag salute.

Every day, members of our military die in service to their country. Do we lower the flag for them? Many innocent people die as the result of drunken drivers; do we dip the flag in their honor? What about the brave souls that finally lose their battle with cancer; again, should we lower our flags? Where will it end? Should we drop our flags when someone's precious parakeet passes on? Please forgive my facetious tone.

The lowering of the flag will no longer be the statement of which it is deserving when we use this action for any sad event in our country. Please preserve this traditional salute reserved for those leaders who deserve our recognition when their government service comes to an end.