Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Radon mitigation do it yourself

Re: Radon mitigation do it yourself

Aw come on Pat, Ive heard that a good simulator ride is like successful surgery on a cadaver. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Without admitting to any degree of "gauge addiction", I will say that my 3/4 ton pickup has a temperture gauge on the rear axle. I saw it go to 265F once when I was pulling the Sierra Nevada Mtns with a very heavy gooseneck trailer. I reasoned that the pinion in that 14-bolt, full-floating, rear axle was the achilles heel of my drivetrain and as such, the temperature would need to be monitored. That axle is behind an SM465 main box and an NP205 transfer case with a twin-stick modification giving me 8 fwd gears in 2WD, so I had plenty of reduction and an all-gear system up front, but the rear axle had to take it or bust. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    I kind of like the system that my Grand Cherokee has. It monitors the guage readings and a warning buzzer sounds if any of them are out of the "normal" range. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Egon, Quite a colorful description, however, much of the realism depends on the instructor and how the mission is programed. When I was a shiny new instructor with little experience I slid open the canopy on a single engine jet sim to hand the pilot the telephone. He nearly went into cardiac arrest. He was so INTO the mission it was real to him and it took a moment for him to reacquire reality when he thought he was losing his canopy in mid flight at night in a thunderstorm on final approach.

Artificial reality is a good thing as when you make a mistake you and the plane don't combine to make a smoking hole in the ground with the last thing to go through your mind being the tail of the aircraft!

Pat

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Dave, I was thinking of a 12 step program for gauge addiction (admitted or not) but got side tracked when I realized while reviewing my scratch notes that the first 6 steps I had posited were gauge installations!

About your rear axle and the lubrication/cooling of same... Gee Dave, will you be installing a reservoir for extra fluid and a heat exchanger to cool that puppy?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We'll do like the NASCAR guys do and put a pulley on the pinion shaft which drives a pump and circulates five gallons of oil through a heat exchanger. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If you aren't accustomed to seeing them, the values displayed on gearbox lube oil guages can be kind of unnerving. Of course we had synthetic oil in the piggy, and those 14-bolt rear axles have a third pinion bearing, but still, ...... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave