Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of Eggs?

Price of Eggs?

What's up with the price of eggs? Grade A large $1.89 a dozen. I thought their price went down around Easter! And if you like mayonaise you might want to stock up before it gets the fever.

Re: Price of Eggs?

They're trying to offset the price increase in fuel [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] , everything is going to go up dramatically and quickly. Either that or this
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

It's not so much the price of fuel but the demand for corn that's being made into ethanol. Anything that uses corn for food will be going up in price, eggs, chickens, hogs, etc.

Greg
    Kioti CK30
    19 chickens

IF I were selling my eggs, I'd have to get about $10 a dozen, after I prorate the cost of the coop, the feed, the losses to predators, the eggs eaten by rat snakes...

Greg, You said a mouthful when you mentioned:

It's not so much the price of fuel but the demand for corn that's being made into ethanol.

I don't know why more folks aren't darned mad about the ethanol fiasco. The ethanol production from corn is NOT a big boon to sustainable energy, ecology, food prices, fuel savings, dependency on foreign oil or just about anything else except some politicians diverting public money (our taxes) into the corn growing business and the political supporters attached thereunto.

The true cost of ethanol is not often discussed in public. After the chemical fertilizers (foreign oil dependent) and the diesel fuel (foreign oil dependent) is accounted for in corn production the cost of ethanol is just about a WASH. The only reason the so called industry can exist is through Government subsidies (our tax $ diverted into corn production to artificially prop up ethanol production.

I'm interested in reducing our dependence on foreign oil and having clean air, reduced tailpipe emissions and apple pie and motherhood (in moderation) but ethanol for gasohol isn't helping. It is a politically acceptable charade that deludes millions into thinking something positive is being done. It is the equivalent of trying to bail out the Titanic with a bucket brigade armed with thimbles. Everyone works up a sweat and feels good about contributing something positive but the results are not viable and will not change the inevitable course of the future.

Until or unless there is way for the "ethanol for motor fuel" industry to be self sustaining without huge subsidies of our tax $ it remains an impotent charade that avoids having to actually upset large groups of people and do something that effectively helps the situation. //RANT MODE = OFF //

The current state of the art in ethanol's motor fuel from corn is such that there is essentially no net energy surplus. After you subtract out all the energy inputs like diesel to run the farm equipment, chemical fertilizers for the corn crop and the energy of the ethanol production you are at approximately break even (with subsidies.) Why should American taxpayers want to subsidize a non effective industry that doesn't help our situation and just diverts tax dollars to large corn farmers and the ethanol industry?

When and if ethanol production from cellulose becomes a viable self sustaining industry with a positive net energy output then we can reduce dependence on foreign oil. Hardy weeds and grasses can provide cellulose in a fully sustainable manner. This is an approach with a future. This is an approach worthy of a subsidy. If perfected this process can make a difference. We can get motor fuel from easily grown sources that do not require huge energy inputs.

Meanwhile corn prices soar and beef, hogs, chickens, eggs, milk, and such are pulled right along.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I get farm fresh eggs for a buck a dozen from the guy across the street. I guess I am lucky that way.

Yep, for a buck a dozen, I'd say you're lucky. We had been buying "large" eggs for $1.82 a dozen but they didn't really seem very large to me, so lately we're buying "jumbo" eggs for $1.96 a dozen.

Since the last thread was from late 2007 and it's now early 2011. Does anyone know the current prices fard fresh eggs are going for vr's store bought eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by OSCARG View Post
    Since the last thread was from late 2007 and it's now early 2011. Does anyone know the current prices fard fresh eggs are going for vr's store bought eggs.
    I'd be more interested in knowing why one would be concerned about a few cents per week one way or the other.
    You'll spend more on gas driving by the farm on your way home from the grocery store (where all the eggs are).