Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The pasture buggie

Re: The pasture buggie

Bird, The MG Midget had contrasting color on the seat "trim" (don't know the term but it is the little tube of material between the seat bottom and the seat sides.) The Midget, of course, had the MG Octagon Badge. IT had a fancier dash too. IT had a chrome strip down the side of the car which the AH didn't have.

A little chrome, a little contrast in the upholstery, and of course more $. There were different levels of quality for side curtains. Some were steel frame with canvas over it and pretty chintzy slide action. I had come aluminum framed rubber gasketed ones with sliding Plexiglas windows. They still flapped "their wings" a bit at high speed and werre not entirely weather proof.

My wife drove the '59 MG 15 miles one way to work for her 4 to midnight shift at the hospital at Minot, ND. With no heat and the drafty cockpit she got chilled in the winter and was so glad to change jobs, work regular daytime hours, and not have to leave the airbase in that drafty frigid conveyance. OF course it was fun in the summer, both weeks.

The '66 Sunbeam Tiger (Ford V-8 powered Alpine) had a heater, rollup windows and was quite tolerable in a NoDak winter but you had to be light on the accelerator on ice as the 165MPH capable beast wasn't easy to drive on ice at slow speeds.

Pat

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Not to rain on your parade but I never got excited over the B. I liked the A OK but would have preferred a TC or a TD. There were also hardtop versions of the A (fixed not removable), like little baby Jags but I didn't care for them either.

I did use a B for a donor car once. In the black hills of SoDak we snagged our A's muffler and knocked it off and ruined it. Talk about loud!!! Of course out in the boonies there wasn't much parts availability and we were in a hurry. One of the station guys who drove a wrecker recalled one of those little sports cars that was driven off the side of the hill and crashed was an MG (he thought.) It was an MG-B and the muffler was in good shape and worked fine for us.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I can't remember for sure whether my side curtains were framed with steel or aluminum, but I do know it was plexiglass and the back half slid forward to open.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] That '67 "Bee" was pretty close to being defect free from the fac-tor-eee, and was a great car. It was a four-speed with OD in the two top gears. It got 29 MPG without the air running and 26 with the air on. I dismounted the generator; mounted a two-groove, 6.5 cubic inch York compressor in that spot, then made brackets to mount the Lucas generator on the side of the York, satellite driving the generator off the second groove of that York. Where the radio speaker normally went I had inserted a section of engine-turned aluminum with a 2.5" fuel pressure gauge, a 2.0" vacuum guage, and a 2.0" oil temperature gauge, all Stewart Warner. People who rode with me were fascinated to see the fuel pressure pump up after I flicked on the ignition switch. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] The 67 was a good model in that it was ahead of the total OSHA workover where they had all kinds of extra running lamps and other gook that spoiled the looks of it, but it was a late enough model to have the hex nut instead of the knock off with the little wings on it. We used a box spanner on the wheel nut, and slugged that with the hammer to unscrew the nut. Of course mine was British Racing Green with wire wheels. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] My emerging family finally outgrew the Bee so I sold it to an appreciative private party and bought a low-miles Ferd LTD from Hertz. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Ok here is mine pretty poor picture but my filing system consist of several large boxes of unorganized pictures.

A 62. I bought used. It had been worked on pretty hard by someone. Cleared balanced special pistons a head and carburetors off of something I never figured out. Bored .60 over. I gave $600 for it. I autocrossed it for several years until they started disqualifying me at tech inspection just to keep me out of the race. I did not have a top, did have the side window frames but no plexiglass in them.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yep, that looks just like so many of the "parking lot warriors" of that vast autocross nation used to look. Innocuous, but quick. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave