Thread: Water Tank-poly or metal

Water Tank-poly or metal

We're required to have a 5,000 gal minimum water tank for the fire department to use. We'll also us it for irrigation purposes. For the house water, we plan on piping directly from our well.

Our local FGS carries green poly tanks. And I know there are metal tanks as well. Any pros or cons, other than the metal ones might rust?

Also, I've heard two different things about what to put under the tank.... a concrete pad, or gravel. Someone told me it depends on what kind of tank you have.. but they couldn't remember which was which.

Re: Water Tank-poly or metal

I have two polys. A 550 and a 1250 the small sets on treated 4x4's and the big one sets on a raised bed of sand from the sand wash. I do not think I would set a galvanized tank right on the ground. Yhe poly tanks will never rust and are near indestrutable.

Re: Water Tank-poly or metal

I have 2x 2500gal green poly tanks. The reason I got 2 was because 2 2500 gals tanks are cheaper than 1 5000 gal tank and they are easier transport. The 2500gal tanks are stronger. The tank manufacturer is in the LA area not far from my city home and they cost a lot less than buying from the local AG store.

The poly tanks are easier to install and requires no maintenance. The steel tank must sit on a solid concrete foundation. A friend of mine has a steel tank and he must seal the edge with silicone every couple of years to prevent water getting under the tank which cause the bottom of the tank to rust. The poly tanks can just sit on gravel, sand or any well drain soil. I believe you have a lot of DG in your area so it you can just place them on a level surface. PM me if you are interested in finding out where to purchase these tanks.