Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greenhouse

Greenhouse

My wife loves to grow vegetables and flowers. We tried growing them in a garden, but the deer, chickens, and rabbits seem to wipe out the garden. The fence kept everything out but the deer. The weather, wind, and heat seem to cause lots of variation too. So, she brought up the idea of an economical greenhouse. Is there something out there that is economical and able to withstand hurricanes? I know the words economical and hurricane do not go together, but I had to ask...

Joe

Re: Greenhouse

Hey, Joe. We considered bowed PVC pipe framing with 4 to 6 mil clear plastic stretched over it. (Picture a Quonset hut.) You wouldn't be out a lot of money if it went 'gone with the wind'. The plastic sheeting would probably only last 2 to 3 years, but (again) it's relatively inexpensive. There are quite a few examples out there on the 'net. Bret

I built a greenhouse out of pvc and plastic. The basic greenhouse was quite reasonable. However the furnace and venting system added quite a bit to the final price. It was built in December of 2003 and finished in January of 2004. We are starting our fourth crop in it. The plastic is holding up quite well, it is supposed to last five years. The problem has been the pvc coming apart. Some of the weather was quite cold when we glued it together so that might be the problem. I obtained the plans on the Internet, then went up a size in the pipe and went ten feet wider. The size of the greenhouse is 22X32. I have a little over $3500 in it. That includes close to 300 feet of 2X4 frames and wire mesh for shelving. Down there you could fore go the heater but I would double the ventilation system. I obtained the heater, ventilation system and thermostats from FarmTek. The cost includes all items, including two layers of plastic over the top and a inflater which I never installed for insulation.

I was going to add that I know of no greenhouse that is reasonable priced that will hold up to a hurricane. Another method would be to use 2X4 framing instead of pvc. The plastic panels available for greenhouses are expensive. Any lumber that is used in the greenhouse should be treated due to the high humidity levels.

Another method to keep the deer out would be to build a fence that is eight feet high out of woven wire.

We used to have a large garden and protected it from deer with a high electric fence. We used the wide yellow and white stainless steel enbedded 'tape' for the fence, instead of wire. Most places that sell electric fences have the tape type fence. We never had any jump over the top tape strand, which was up about 8 feet. You want to build the fence far enough away from the garden that you can still turn the rototiller around on the ends.

JKL, IS there a story there? The rotor tilling vs the electric fence?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

No story Pat. Sorry. Just spent enough time horsing the tiller around at the end of the rows to know you need some room. Of course, a mental note to turn the fence OFF before starting to rototill is a good idea, too! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

OK, If you don't feel comfortable in telling it, that's OK.

I thought maybe something likek my experience when I was in the 92h grade and out hunting squirrels with a .22. I used to use the wooden forestock to depress hot wires to step over. That piece of wood was attached with a metal screw. One time I hit the wire with the screw which conducted to the barrel and then to me. After that I was significantly more careful. I also (when not carrying the rifle) used to pick up a stick to hold the wire down.

Hint: don't use a green or wet stick!

Pat

Whats all the fuss about? As a younger fellow I simply jumped over the fences! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon , It is not recommended practice to jump over fences while carrying a loaded gun. Were you trying for a Darwin award?

Pat