Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greenhouse

Re: Greenhouse

Nope, already had that award, just in a hurry sometimes. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My wife wanted a greenhouse but I didn't want to drop alot of money on something that she may not use for the long term. I didn't want to use PVC because of durability issues so I bought a metal tubing bender on Ebay. It uses top rails for chainlink fences to make the bows. So far I am extremely pleased with the product and especially the support. Here is a link to one on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greenhouse-Tubin...QQcmdZViewItem

SydKen

Hope this will be of use. I have helped with building 29 greenhouses, when I got to my 3 I changed a couple things.

At the other greenhouse they used to prop 2x6's under some of the bars when a wind storm was coming, well when the wind blows yes the greenhouse shakes a lot. We had a lot of smashed plants under the fallen boards.

One year a very large snowstorm came and collapsed a greenhouse. I opened the door , the greenhouse looked fine from the front, and inside was all the bars and plastic on the ground.

I know it is more expensive but this may help. In the first house I put a 3ft deep cement support with a 4x4 metal attachment for a 4x4 board. I cut the 4x4 to the slant of the greenhouse bow and strapped it down with metal strapping.
    I put 6 in each greenhouse 3 on each side.

Since I am not always here I also put a thermostat on my fan so I could set it to a certain temp to turn on when I am not outside at that moment the sun came out. I also had 2 loovers at opposite end of greenhouse so when fan came on it would suck the air from opposite end and automatically open loovers.

I really wanted something to make my job easier because while keeping 26 greenhouses monitored and running from one to the other when the sun came out or a wind storm came I wanted to eliminate that daily jog.

Those were my most valuable additions to my greenhouses. Leveling the ground before starting the projects helped too.

Maybe a smaller greenhouse with lots of supports may withstand more wind. I hope this last year went well with your project.

Don't fear your life one day will end, fear you did nothing with it.

May I ask what you're growing in your greenhouses? I will be moving to a 5 acre hobby farm, and I want to put in greenhouses (if zoning lets me).

I was thinking of growing hydroponic vegetables year-round, but would like to hear what's working for others. I'm also hoping to sell the produce at local farmers markets.

All input and advice is appreciated!

I have 5 acres here. I grow and sell retail. I have hanging baskets, pony packs of flowers and vegetables, roses, perennials, herbs, accents, geraniums, seeds and chemicals.

There are a few people that grow vegies in their greenhouses. The problem with that is you have plants in your greenhouse most of the time, there is no down time. I have nothing in my greenhouse from July-Dec. I give the pests or diseases plenty of time to starve or be cooked by the heat or be frozen.

Be prepared for the heating bill if it will need heated. There is a big greenhouse business that is heated by water "Wards Greenhouse", that is great, but they live about 100 miles away from Boise. I am sure their gas for vehicles is quite expensive.

I am not sure if I helped if you have any questions I would be happy to help if possible. You just gotta get into it knowing you will be out there every day even on cloudy days. Good luck. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ruth
    Don't fear your life one day will end, fear you did nothing with it.