Thread: Trash-Toter

Trash-Toter

Anyone have any ideas for moving a trash-toter down a 1 mile gravel driveway? I'm thinking of something that slides into a receiver hitch and something that has a cam with lever which assists in lifting the loaded can. I'm sure that something like this has already been built.

Re: Trash-Toter

Yup, they have one. I've seen a couple and think about 'em once in a while, but my driveway is only 250' so it isn't that big of a deal for me to haul it down by hand or by tractor. Here's one of them: Cansporter

I must be the luckiest man alive. My trashman drives 1 thousand feet right up to my garage and picks it up. If I have forgotten to bring it to the garage, he comes to the back door and asks. Of course this service costs 16 dollars a month.

rfawkes, I get similar service but I have to pay more. We pay $17 a month. The driver has to drive close to the house and using the circular drive to turn around and back up to the far end of the house-shop-garage and load the trash. I asked them to not use the convenient circular drive as it is new and still being fussed over with gravel here and there and needs a tinhorn etc.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

You guys *are* lucky. I pay $29 / month for trash pickup, but I have to haul the can to the bottom of the drive. If I forget - well, too bad for me. I suppose the "good news" is that the can is big enough that I usually only fill it about halfway so I can miss a week without too much trouble... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I guess I'm lucky, too. Four years ago, while living out in the country, I was paying $12 a month to a private individual who picked up our garbage once a week at the edge of the road. He supposedly had a limit to the number of bags or boxes he'd take at a time, but told me not to worry about it. Now that we're back in town, I pay $10.30 a month (on the water bill) for weekly garbage pickup. The city has contracted with Waste Management to handle the job, and these guys are surprising. You want to pile garbage bags from one edge of your lot to the other edge? Set out a sofa? Or a washer and dryer, dishwasher, kitchen range? Huge piles of brush as long as it's cut "approximately" in 4' lengths and tied in bundles? No rules about bags, garbage cans, boxes, etc. They take it all. If it can be stuffed into the back of that packer truck, they take it. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I have one and it works great. It is called the Cansporter. Their web-site is www.cansporter.com. I have the dual model so I can transport two carts. I live on a private road and must take my carts down the hill some distance to be picked up by the garbage service. The carrier attaches to the tow receiver and easily lifts and locks the carts in place suspended above the road. After having this for a while, I don't know how I did without it before. A must have if you need to haul your carts.