Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusty bolt removal

Rusty bolt removal

I'm rebuilding an antique manure spreader that is held together by hundreds of very rusty 3/8" carriage bolts. I'm guessing I need either a reciprocal saw or an angle grinder to remove them, not sure since I've never owned either of these handy tools? Better method?

Re: Rusty bolt removal

Angle grinder.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Agle grinder with one of the new thin type of cut off wheel is what I would use. Plus if you got to buy it it will generally be cheaper unless you buy up scale commercial . A recip saw will work with a good metal cutting blade and again if you have to buy it it has many more uses than the grinder. I have a batt powered one and use it for all kinds of things.

Thanks guys, angle grinder was what I suspected. Just making sure as I have a good bench grinder and don't do much metal work so I really don't have a great need for an angle grinder. I think I'll rent one for this project since I'll be running it pretty hard for a several hours both cutting bolts and maybe wire brushing.

And your right Jim, I encounter many situations where a quality battery-powered recip saw would be the tool and I'll get one when the right project comes along, just not this one.

I have a Makita corded reciprocating saw and it's a dandy for a lot of things, but for the kind of cutting you're talking about; i.e., rusty bolts, an air powered reciprocating saw like this one is the handiest little saw you can have if you have an air compressor. The next time I'm over near Harbor Freight, I'm probably going to buy one. I have no idea how good theirs are, but I used to own a Blue Point, which I later sold when I acquired an Ingersol-Rand. I've also repaired some Chicago Pneumatic. I generally prefer Ingersol-Rand air tools, but like the design even better of the Blue Point and Chicago Pneumatic which are almost identical.

Another vote for angle grinder here. You could cut off the heads, or grind them flat and punch out the body of the bolt.

Other uses for angle grinders: Sharpen garden tools such a hoes and shovels. Sharpen mower blades. Grind down welds to make them pretty.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Grind down welds to make them pretty.

Hey you ain't seen any of my welds! There ugly even after I grind them.

You're not using the right type of wheel!

One of the flap wheels works well. Flap Disk
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

You only live once, I made my annual pilgrimage to the local Makita store this afternoon. They have all kinds of "refurbished" tools, mostly returns from their "30-day satisfaction guarantee" at about 60-70% of retail. Now is THE time to shop these places during the spring project days when so many tools get used briefly and returned.

She jumped right in my face, a 7" 15amp beast of metal eating monster for $90. Their wheels seemed overpriced so I just bought a cut-off wheel in addition to the grinding wheel that came with it. I go to checkout and I spy some of their old 9.6v tools in a backroom. Yeah, we can't move that stuff anymore... well let's haggle, I've got 6 batteries and two chargers already. So I got a recip saw, the cutest little 3.5" circ saw, and a 2nd flashlight all for $50 sans batteries or chargers. Very productive trip, when the Visa bill hits the CFO's desk, I'll claim the $150 for the grinder and still have three more toys "under the radar" [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Lazy, Eat your heart out! I am building some built in cabinets with lots of storage drawers for my wife's Tea Room. I have complained about my smallish Makita table saw and even lacerated my left thumb with it (requiring stitches) to prove how inconvenient it is. She has started answering any complaint I make about the saw with the comment, Honey, go buy a bigger saw!"

Now I suppose the difficult part is to estimate how far I can extrapolate this concern for my convenience and safety BEYOND just a bigger better table saw! This isn't so much flying under the RADAR as it is spoofing the radar to think the pip is something else besides what it is. Ahh, I just love examples from the ancient Greeks.... can you say TROJAN HORSE?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"