Thread: Irrigation from Aerobic System

Irrigation from Aerobic System

First off, I'm a newbie to this site. Great site!!!

I have 1.5 acres in north texas and have an aerobic system. Obviously this system is not large enough to irrigate my lawn but I was wondering if there is a reasonable way to collect the watter from this system throughout the year to use for irrigation of my entire lawn durring the summer months when we are under severe water restrictions. Has anyone ever heard of this? Seems like if I collect water during the winter months, I would be able to use it during the summer.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    JB

Re: Irrigation from Aerobic System

One of my brothers, a brother-in-law, and I all had aerobic systems which of course irrigated a small portion of our yards. I've never heard of anyone storing the water for later use. You'd need to have a storage container, another pump, additional plumbing, etc. It certainly seems possible, but my guess is that it would not be practical.

But welcome to Countrybynet.

Re: Irrigation from Aerobic System

Hey, J. I believe Bird nailed it. It will cost a bit to store that water. Then, will it stay "fresh"? Remember, you are adding chlorine to the water to zap some of the nasties that may make it past the final aerobic process. I doubt it kills everything, and storing a tank of this water might grow quite a colony of smelly microorganisms. (Think Texas summer heat.)
    A rainwater collection system might be a better investment, IMHO. Bret