Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Animals Together

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Animals Together

We have a very large flock of egg laying chickens that free range throughout our entire farm. Many can always be found in the goat pasture and in the goat barn. Our goats have never picked up any diseases from them, and to my knowledge, there is no danger to the goats or to their milk. So...let your chickens free range.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Any thoughts on this or links to studies regarding running chickens with goats?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of any studies or such, but many years ago as a kid, I once raised a nanny goat, just as a pet, but got her bred and planned to milk her. However, about that time, an uncle in town was told by his doctor to use goat's milks for a stomach ailment. My grandparents had moved into town, but had a place with a big garden, and a big chicken pen and chicken house. They only lived two doors from the uncle with the stomach problem. So I let my granddad take my nanny goat and milk her for their use. He kept her in the same pen (probably 100' x 200') with a couple of dozen hens and a rooster and never had a problem.

Thanks, guys. I'll let the chickens run around during the day and put them up in the evening.
    ----------------------
    Rick

A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.