Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you splurge?

Re: Where did you splurge?

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I would have to say that the electrical system is the part of our remodel that has received the most outrageous splurging. We have the system divided between a "normal loads" panel and a "critical loads" panel, with a generator feed. We have oodles of recessed lights in the kitchen as well as in our breakfast "booth". The breakfast booth was also an area in which we have really gone nutzo. It's a truncated pop-out with three Pella windows and the entire booth sits up on a six-inch riser of gunstock Oak planking with brass kickplates. The table is a six-foot Pecan butcher block overhung slab with a decreasing-clearance cut on one side. The seats are antique church pews that have been cut down. We haven't built the part of the house that will have the master bath in it yet, but we do plan on having both a whirlpool tub AND separate shower in there. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Sounds very nice CJDave! Any pictures?

Pat, sounds like you've made some great choices, both comfort and performance wise!
    We have a slab on grade (6") that is heated on the main floor of the house. Nothing like getting out of the shower and stepping onto a warm floor! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    One of our worst splurges was the Twins all refrigerator /all freezer units. It's a 5'4" stainless steel unit that has one side as all refrigerator, and the other is all freezer. It is very nice looking, convenient and very user friendly, however, the thing never seems to shut off.

Egon, Maybe I shower more than the national average (in US) but I do not get a clean towel every time and still prefer if it is dry and warm each time hence my appreciation of a towel warmer. I have been known to hang a coat on it.

So you'd have us believe that, for you, splurging is tepid water in a small galvanized tub and true luxury is when you get soap.

I may be slow but I am NOT stopped!

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Troybuilt, Thanks for the kind words but let me take a slight variance with your comment about nothing like stepping out of the shower onto a warm floor. My shower floors and walls are warmed and I think there is nothing so nice as stepping into a warm shower from a warm bathroom floor.

IF you ever suffer from insomnia, I have offered the cure. Take a look at my thread on the South Central Oklahoma Farmhouse. I guarantee you will not make it through in one sitting before you will fall deep into the embrace of Morpheus.

Pat

Lordy Pat; The last time, just a few weeks ago, that I was interned in the hospital there were heated blankets. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Here at home we must conserve energy due to high fuel costs and weekly bathes are the norm. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Those Saturday night baths in a #2 round wash tub in the middle of the kitchen floor with water heated on the cookstove were a reality when I was a kid and I'm sure glad those days are behind us.

Egon, If weekly baths are an energy conservation measure I wonder how long your regular baths lasted. I get all prune like in under an hour.

Were you referring to electric blankets or to regular blankets heated up to take the chill off and give you a pleasant head start. Heated blankets used to be no big deal. You just put a few coals from the fire into the bed warmer (flat metal container with long wooden handle) and ran it between the sheets and all around in the bed to take off the chill. Simple, cheap, worked well, and required virtually no maint. There were other versions of bed warmers too used by my relatives in Mississippi but I won't go there on this family friendly site.

Pat

Sorry bird but I get visions of the redneck hottub photo I found on the net [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . I"ll try to post a copy in the photo section.

A second cousin of mine came home and found a wash tub of hot water and thought his mom put it out for him so he could have a bath. He hopped in and soon hopped out burning and itching all over so bad he spent nearly the whole night in a stock pond. Every time he got out he started to burn so bad he went back in. He didn't use a light to inspect the hot water and it was the rinse water from a huge mess of poke salat. OOPS!!!

Pat