Thread: Lug Nuts

Lug Nuts

I have six thousand miles on my F350 4x4. I was getting A strange wacking sound from the left rear tire. I thought that I had picked up a nail or I had a stone inside the hub cover. I popped the hub cover and found all the lug bolts loose. They say you should check the lug nut tension on the styled aluminum wheels periodically. Probably a good Idea. Give me plain steel wheels anytime.

RonL

Re: Lug Nuts

I have Alcoa aluminum 19.5 inch wheels on my '97 Dodge and after installation I drove 500 miles and re torqued them. They never loosened under any conditions. I carry a 4 1/2 foot long torque wrench (rated up to 600 lb-ft) in case I need to do tire work. The wheels are torqued to 450 lb-ft and typical shops may not be able to take off the lugs so I loan then "EXCALIBER" (I don't usually name tools but I made an exception for this monster.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I prefer an aluminum wheel (reduction of unsprung weight and so forth) but... I bought a new set once for an old 3/4 ton and went a little long between initial installation and 1st retorqueing. It really got my attention when my left rear wheel passed me. Luckily the trailer I was pulling was empty. ABS doesn't work well when the mated surfaces are asphalt/steel instead of asphalt/rubber. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

You know it's amazing how many people don't know this...

I corrected a coworker (somewhat) the other day when she said that she would NEVER take her car to the local COOP for service again cuz she knew of two and maybe three people who had lug nuts come loose after a tire repair...she explained it to me and I asked her if they all had aluminum wheels.. of course she didn't know, but I am sure they did... explained the need to re-torque them and she looked at me all bug eyed... had no idea....I had a front wheel come loose on a 379 Peterbilt... that's enough to make you mess yer drawers when u climb out of the cab after about 8 straight hrs of driving and the left front wheel is sitting cockeyed... but u could not tell going down the road... honest to goodness... [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]