Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Table saw

Table saw

Having had a recent incident involving the table saw and my left thumb (stitches have been out for two weeks) caused in part by working on larger widths of wood when saw fence only opens to 12 inches from blade. ( I couldn't accept full responsibility) I decided to get a larger saw. I did. Lots larger. 52 inch capacity. 3 hp.

Brand: Saw Stop

Supposedly it won't cut you badly.

I was encouraged to go ahead and get it by the CEO (same one who forced me to get cab and air on tractor.)
    Now I am committed to making a bunch of cabinets, storage, shelving, furniture etc to save money vs hiring a pro and thus amortize the saw cost. I'm still a little embarrassed at the $ I spent!

Pat (with 9.9 fingers and not wanting to go lower)
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Table saw

I never cease to be amazed at the things some people will do to get the wife's approval to buy something. But cutting off even a small part of a finger seems a bit extreme to me. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

It's probably some type of addiction Bird!

Pat's probably due for some type of "Tool Avoidance" association. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It isn't negative feedback like in "Clockwork Orange." I worry about certain rules of thumb (unintended but it fits) in psychology, like for instance, "Behavior that is rewarded is repeated."

I hope not to have to demonstrate a need for safety glasses or a hard hat! It could be worse, I'd really hate to demonstrate the need for a protective cup!!!!!

Do not be mislead my friends, do not be lured into "post hoc propter ergo hoc" logical errors. Just because I knew of the saw before I "DID" my thumb is not prima facie evidence that I did it on purpose. Scarier would be if my subconscious, inundated with desire filtering down from the conscious, directed the mishap to attain the goal. That would be cause for extreme nervousness, especially if I were sonambulistic.

I need to do some serious organizing and rearranging to accommodate this sucker as it is fairly large in the 52 inch size. Like most of my other stationary tools/machines, it won't be either. I will be building a dolly on Castor wheels for it. The ones they sell for applications like this are designed to lift the tool the minimum distance they can get by with. I am not comfortable at "standard" tool heights. They are an actual pain in my back so I will raise the saw with a wheeled dolly which will make it easier to manage and more comfortable to use.

Here is a tool test report on several nice table saws. It was published a while back in "Fine Woodworking" magazine. The Saw Stop test results show that it equals or exceeds the precision of every other saw in the lineup in every category.

http://www.sawstop.com/media/W184JOp46-p51.pdf

I guess they are doing what they can to keep from looking even more expensive. The price did not include shipping, a blade of any kind, fence, extension table and on and on. As bad as buying a car and finding out the steering wheel is a separately priced option. Oh, you want lug nuts? They are extra! How about windshield wipers or brake calipers or... You get the idea.

That said, It looks to be a fine saw with excellent fit and finish. It will reduce my wiggle room and easy excuse regarding the quality of my finished product. I won't be able to blame the saw. Like having a gun that easily will shoot MOA, if you don't it isn't the guns fault. Hopefully tomorrow after playing cowboy I will get a chance to make room to uncrate it and set it up.

On the subject of woodworking skills... I am building some built in storage for my wife's Tea Room. I figured three stacks of drawers with four drawers each stack in sizes from the bottom up of 7, 9, 11, 13 inches drawer height. Reality set in. Now I am building in three stacks of three shelves each in 13, 11, and 9 inch heights. I don't know where I went wrong but there is no way for more that the three. Oh well, I'll figure out something to do with three drawers 22x30x7. I can hang them under the work bench or somewhere. Will have to reinforce them a bit if I use them in the shop as that size drawer full of tools will be HEAVY!

Pat

Sounds like more excuses to me Pat! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

About three or four nice hand saws would do the same work on large panels that the new tool will do. They are also much more adaptive to situational use. Take up little storage space. They are excellent for making tenons and stopped cuts in thick material. There are at least six or so in a toolbox in my basement. They are a tad older than me though but still work very well. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

In many cases the hand saw will have the job done before you can set up the electric saw. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Note: It takes real determination to mangle body parts with one of these. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Good Point Egon!

A hand tool is often faster if it's close by. And stopped cuts always need to be cleaned up with a hand saw, or perhaps a saber saw. Unless that's what you used in the first place.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I have used hand saws more than the average guy. I injured myself a few times when I was quite young but once I learned to start a cut AND keep the hand holding the work farther from the saw so when/if it jumped out of the just started cut you don't get bit, the injury rate went way down.

So Egon, are you trying to have me believe that your method of sawing 4x8 sheet goods is by handsaw? If that were the only reason for a bigger saw I would build a panel saw that could temporarily mount a hand held power saw.

I'm sure there are lots of alternatives when it comes to doing any particular job in woodworking. I'm open to listen to and evaluate alternatives. I listened. I evaluated. I'm not looking for any of my SEVERAL handsaws.

(That's funny, he didn't look Amish.)

I'm sure the drainage ditch you were working on with your tractor could have been worked just fine with a shovel, garden trowel, or even a teaspoon. I noticed you chose a mechanized piece of equipment that with your operating skills and learning ability provided acceptable results in less time with less effort albeit at greater expense (fuel, lubricants, amortization, etc)

Pat (temporarily between rain storms)

For my trenches the amount of time expended in hand labour would far exceed The length of time it takes to cut several sheets of plywood. Chances are the time taken for search and obtain for the table saw exceeds the amount of time it would have taken to manually cut the boards. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We too are in between rain showers. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, Did I forget to mention that this isn't the last time I will need to cut big size chunks with a fair degree of accuracy?

If it were a one time deal I could go to my cabinet maker's shop and get the boards cut but I will be THE CABINET maker for a significant period of time. I have to make cabinets for the downstairs kitchen and lots of stuff I have promised the wife like window seats, a huge built-in filing cabinet in her office glass display cases for her seashell collection and China cabinets for her tea stuff and on and on and on. With the acquisition of this nice saw comes awesome responsibility to do many things.

I wasn't kidding about saving enough by going into DIY mode to easily pay for the saw, cyclonic dust collection system and other "little" items that that will pop up as emerging requirements as I progress along.

Pat

Okay Pat, the saw does save money. Seems I also have used that approach. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There is a downside though. Now one has too work! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]