Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Table saw

Re: Table saw

Uh, yah, Egon good buddy but I was going to have to do the work anyway! This will make it more pleasant. I really would have been at risk for another injury. I find that once burned twice wary has kicked in. I am more circumspect with all the power tools. Routers and joiners are pretty scary too but table saws are number one in the stats from emergency rooms.

My wife and I had a chuckle today when I showed her the healing progress of my thumb and remarked how it was good that the store had the saw in stock so I could get it before the thumb healed up too much to engender the requisite sympathy.

Pat

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Gary; I'm foreseeing a problem for a certain person that frequents this site. It saddens me as there really is no help for the man.

He's got this humongous shop area and is already beginning to complain about lack of space! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Now he is very industrious, believes tools save money which of course they do and here in lies the problem.

For every tool a job or jobs are required. His shop is full of tools. His work schedule is maxed out for two normal people. If he follows his present trend more shop space plus more new tools will be required. To me this indicates an ever increasing work load on an exponential trend.

I'm getting worried as he never seems to have time for vacation or even time to just layabout and relax.

And he's getting on in years! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Any suggestions?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Egon, does that feller have a sheet metal brake yet? I can't remember whether he does or not. If not, I sure think he ought to get one. I've never owned one myself, but I have a contractor working on my place now and using a ten and a half foot sheet metal brake to shape aluminum and that's a neat tool I'd like to have. In fact, if I had one, I'd be doing this work myself instead of having a contractor, but then I really don't have room to store another tool that big anyway.

Bird,

A brake is indeed a handy tool to have. Use it to make flashing, make trim for windows etc. But he'd also need a good heavy duty shear to go with it. One that could handle maybe 1/4" steel. Nothing nicer than welding up some steel with nice straight edges. True, the brake couldn't bend anything that thick, but a shear sure is handy.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Of course a Bridgeport mill is nice too! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Gary

He may not have a Brake yet or a power bender???

According to his reports shop area is becoming quite crowded. In fact some tools have to be placed on wheels in order to move them around for working space.

Indications so far seem to point in the direction of getting more available working space so building must be in the planning stages.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

UHH, I have had a small brake and a shear for decades. The brak ewith shear that they use on PVC coil (prepainted trim metal for Vinyl siding) is a different animal from the box and pan or straight brakes you will see in a metal shop. My shear is a good one but is small and hand operated not a larger kick shear. I used the equipment for prototyping, building enclosures for electronic prototypes, and cutting circuit board material.

I'm so jammed up I haven't uncrated the new saw yet. Things like brush hogging a few of my pastures ( 40 acres each) tends to interrupt my other projects. I did take a break and ran out in the back yard and got pix of a 14-16 inch long (shell) snapping turtle during my brief lunch nreak. I then convinced myself to hang out inside for 30 min and play on the computer while catching the last half of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keeler.

Egon is right, I do have plans for another building, a pole barn large enough to hold the tractor with attached implements and storage for all the other implements, trailer, dune buggy and maybe some space to sticker rough sawn lumber. The current tractor and implement storage shed (21x48 ft will have its open long side closed in converting that space to a shop anex. I think I need to segregate some activities like metal work with grinding, welding, and such from wood working and finish spraying and such. If the space works out I may use clear plastic (couple mills thick) to segregate a spray area with appropriate air circulation and filtration.

I do have a couple containers, the big steel boxes used for container shipments. I might try to work those into the pole barn design to provide some secure storage.

Later dudes, I hear my projects calling

Pat

Why not incoporate an indoor pistol range into the new building? Use one of those shipping containers as a good start. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary

Chances are Pat's gonna get wore down just walking to and from different shop areas unless he gets a Gator or golf cart or some such vehicle! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

He will probably need several sets of tools too! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Gary, The containers I have are 20ft not 40 and 20 ft might work for BB pistols but not my cup o' tea for target shooting real pistols. The tractor shed becoming a shop annex is 48ft by 21ft and will provide a 50 ft range with 2 ft for the shooter if you go diagonal.

If the pole barn were planned to be longer I could have a pistol range in it along with an indoor archery range. I prefer more conveniently located stuff but we should not forget the 70ft by 35 ft metal shop building I have near the northern border of my property (about 1/4 mile from new house) as it would make a commodious 50ft range with room for a couple shooters to park inside out of the way in inclement weather. due to a bathroom there is only about a 25 ft width with 70 ft range but I don't intend to open a public range or have more than just a few shooters at a time.

I realize the cart thing was humor but having a bath with shower and closet in the shop cuts down trips into the hose. I have a couple still working but not used much Ryobi electric drills in 12 volts which could be hooked to skate wheels with right angle drive adaptors to give me electric skates. I'd need to rig a toe throttle to replace the variable speed trigger so you could have your hands free.

Bird, I got a notification of a post from you but I get errors trying to go to it. It was about my use of the term "PVC coil." I didn't invent it. It is the name of a prefinished aluminum roll of metal used to trim out Vinyl siding jobs. I don't know the origin of the name. I think the product may have been from Alcoa. Anyway if yoiu Google on PVC coil you will see lots of sources calling it that. The brake and shear used for that stuff is way different from standard sheet metal brakes and shears.

Pat