Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Table saw

Re: Table saw

Are you gonna check it out using a wiener?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

No Egon, I'm not but I will let you check it out with your wiener if you supply the replacement brake cartridge. Can you believe it, some folks argue that the saw is OK and the safety idea is OK but the cost of the brake cartridge replacement (well under $100 US) is way too high. Go figure! And this because their insurance pays for a trip to the ER but not for the brake cartridge replacement. Neither insurance nor the ER can reduce the pain, suffering, potential for loss of body parts and possible use of your fingers as much as the safety system does.

They are probably the same people who don't like to wear seatbelts, preferring instead to be "thrown free" of the accident.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Okay, did not know of the brake replacement cost. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The replacement brake module costs about $60 US and I bought a spare just to be on the safe side but hope I never use it. I also bought one for use with the 8 inch dado blade.

Egon, what is $60 to you since once you get here to do the test I will feed and house you for at least a week and you can eat all the wild blackberries you can pick and fish you can catch. You will even get to use the SUPERSAW since you will want to show me the right way to do many different things.

Pat

Uh-oh - Am I giving the wrong impression again?? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There really is no right way to do anything. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Usually most people take my advice to heart, do the exact opposite and get it right every time!! [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

PS; By the time I collect enough bottles for the fare we will have lots of blackberries here.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Did you HAVE to mention blackberries? I'm having a very tough time waiting for ours to ripen! We planted a 10 X 15 rectangle of blackberries two years ago and this year they have just exploded with fruit. Our intention was to make a safe house for the bunnies so they can get away from the cats, and it will probably be one more year before the berry vines co-mingle such that they form a super-impenetrable jungle that only a rabbit can zoom into at high speed. These are the long berries....the best kind. Oh and one more thing: blackberries are red when they're green. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I just had to say that. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, I have been able to pick a few berries here and there for over a month but the main bang is still a while away. I have plenty of "naturally occurring" berries. I brush hog 6 ft swaths through them which removes roughly half of the plants and production but yields 10x-20x the access so is a better deal for us. A little 0-13-13 or similar fertilizer will make them go crazy but I didn't bother. We always have more than we can pick, even with the help of friends and critters. If I didn't cut or spray the berry bushes we would loose a lot of pasture to them.

Ahh, berry picking... sweat running in my eyes, the great American blood letting... no matter what I do short of wearing armor, I donate blood while trying to pick wild blackberries.

Pat

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] When I was a ranch kid we picked wild blackberries by backing the flatbed truck or the pickup into the berry bushes and then stood in the bed and picked in a horsehoe pattern, When that spot was picked over, we drove fwd and backed into a different spot. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I used to lay 2 x 12s on the blackberry vines to walk on to pick them when I was a kid in Oklahoma. But where we last lived in the country, I just had an approx. 4' x 50' blackberry patch and I'd wear a welding gauntlet on my left hand to pull vines out of the way and picked the berries with my right hand. As soon as the berries were through producing, which was in June 60 miles south of Dallas, I'd mow them down, first with the brush hog, then run over them again with the riding mower. Then I'd apply granular fertilizer and water them.

I have one particular patch where that has been my preferred approach except we don't have a flatbed. That particular patch is growing on an old brush pile where trees were pushed into a pile with a dozer and lots of dirt got heaped up with them. As a result many of the berries are up too high for my 6'2" body, even with my ape arms (6'4" + "wingspan.") The soil is more to their liking and the berries there are bigger.

Pat