Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog options for 11-year-old kids

Dog options for 11-year-old kids

My twins (boy and girl) will turn 11 in early July and my wife and I have decided to get them a dog for their birthday. We're leaning heavily toward a Golden Retriever. That's what the kids have asked for and my brother had one for years and he was a great dog. Some friends have a Chocolate Lab, which also seems like a real nice dog. He's been to a training school and behaves well. He almost never barks. Whatever we get, he/she will be an outside dog. I'll buy or build a nice insulated house. I plan to use an electronic perimeter fence. I don't want to put a dog in a pen or use a chain, I think a dog should have the freedom to run. We have 6 acres and I'll probably fence in about 3 acres.

The down side of the Golden Retriever is the size. I'd prefer a smaller dog, partly because we like to travel and a large dog would be harder to travel with. Are there smaller varieties of Golden Retrievers, or are they all the same?

Also, what about training a dog not to bark at night and when we're not home? So many people have dogs that bark a lot at night and bark a lot when their owners are not home, so can a dog be trained not to do that?

I read somewhere on the internet that Golden Retrievers are not good guard dogs due to their gentle nature. Is that true? If someone were to take aggressive action toward one of the kids, what would a Golden Retriever do?

PS: What do I need to consider when choosing male or female? Whatever we get, it will be spade/neutered.

Re: Dog options for 11-year-old kids

I've owned many breeds of dogs, including a Golden Retriever and I currently have a Chocolate Lab. The golden was great with the kids and loved to learn tricks, but (like you said) was almost too gentle and trusting. A great dog.

My chocolate lab, however, is THE BEST dog I have ever owned. We wanted a lab, but not a giant one. We made sure and checked out both parents, and found one with parents on the small side. Duke, our dog, is good sized, but much smaller than some lab I've seen.

Duke has been a great country dog, now that we have an invisible fence to keep him home. He's fixed, but still loved to go roaming. He's great with our kids, 6 and 12, but is not all-trusting when a new person or car approaches. He has a real mean sounding bark, but as soon as we call him down, he's fine.

My wife also loves Duke for the fact that he's not a big shedder, unlike the golden who left long blonde hairs all over the house. We have a dog door, so Duke comes in at night to sleep, but usually during the day he likes it outside. If I go to work on something, he's right beside me, and just lays down while I work and naps. Then when I'm done, he's ready to go to the next chore. He truly is my best friend out on the farm.

Bottom line, I highly recommend a dog for your kids, and staying in the retreiver family is a good idea. I would recommend both breeds, but the lab is by far my favorite.
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My wife also loves Duke for the fact that he's not a big shedder

[/ QUOTE ]

That surprises me because I have a cousin who had a blond lab for nearly 18 years, and I never knew any dog could shed as much as that one did.

I hope the dog doesn't crap in the flower beds [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I've had two wonderful black labs, but never a golden. I'd like to have one as they are fine dogs too, but my wife prefers slick haired dogs as they're easier to care for. And as she does most, OK, all, of the brushing I need to allow her to have her way.

I don't believe either a golden or a lab would make a good watchdog. Bark some if a person comes around, probably. Run off an intruder, I don't think so. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

<font color="blue"> "The down side of the Golden Retriever is the size. I'd prefer a smaller dog, partly because we like to travel and a large dog would be harder to travel with. Are there smaller varieties of Golden Retrievers, or are they all the same?"</font color>

Have you ever seen a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever? They are very popular up here (for some odd reason!!). I have them on my list of possibles for when I move into the country. They are a fair bit smaller than standard Golden Retrievers and supposedly very smart.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Ian, Thanks for that info. I checked on the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever and it would probably be just right. Problem is, the closest one I could find is over 1000 miles away and cheapest I've found so far is $1250! Typical Golden Retrievers around here are $300. - Danny

We are on our second golden, the first lasted us 2 1/2 years. The second one we have had a little over a year. Both were obtained free of charge as the people either had to get rid of them due to landlord or change of family status. Sydney was eleven when she came to us and Morgan was five. Both seem to have a little bit of a stubborn streak, maybe due to a lack of training when younger. They do shed, a daily grooming will help with that. They want to be at your feet all of the time. Both pawed at you when they wanted attention. Sydney would let out a bark once and a while, where Morgan likes to bark. When we picked up Morgan a year ago in January, she was with another golden and a lab. They were out a lot and maybe that is where the barking comes from. She will only bark when the neighbors dog comes out or she hears a noise outside.

Last year while I was selling at the market, a couple of younger guys came knocked at the door of the shed and when the wife said come in as she thought it was someone else, Morgan sensed that the wife was unsure of the situation and she started growling. So they can be protective.

I would just love to get a golden pup, but four dogs would be to many at once. The golden is a great dog and love to give attention as well as receive it.

We have traveled with both and they both do it well. The only problem was that on Sydney's second trip home from Florida, she did not want to get back into the suburban at a rest stop. We knew the end was near, but she did make until fall.

Our neighbor at the farm has labs. They are a great dog. However, they seem more hyper and always want you to throw something for them to retrieve. They do not seem to want the attention or give it, but would rather retrieve something.

On any of these larger breeds, check out the parents, as that will give you an indication of the size that they will become.

Attached is a picture of Sydney on her first trip to Florida.

Love the picture!

You reminded me of something else about Goldens. They are part of the family, and basically demand to be part of the family - sometimes to the point of annoyance. Our golden was always around, which is good, but would get tiring if you were just walking to the next room to get something. They are good dogs, overall.

Our lab is not hyper at all, but he is fixed. You basically can't go wrong with either of these dogs.
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

I put a $100 deposit down on a female Golden Retriever AKC puppy (total is $300). I decided to go with a female because I read (in several places) they are generally smaller than the males. I saw the parents and he is much bigger. The owners told me he weighs 90 lbs and she usually weighs 60 lbs (but is real thin right now after just having the pups). The puppy I picked out is a darker color, which is what we wanted. They all go in for shots next week and we'll bring her home next weekend. The kids still don't have a clue, so it will be a big surprise. It will be an early birthday present by a couple weeks, but that's fine.