Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog options for 11-year-old kids

Re: Dog options for 11-year-old kids

I'm sure you are aware that it is recommended to not separate the pup from its mother before 8 weeks of age.... Just a reminder incase your dealing with a back yard breader that just has interest in his wallet. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Sounds like you have already decided on a dog, but figured I would throw my two cents in. We don't have a dog now, my wife is allergic and since we are still in a city setting, hope to be in the country sooner rather than later. Anyways we will probably get a labradoodle, as they are less allergenic, way less shedding and really cool dogs. They have the best of both breeds. Very intelligent(poodle), loving and good with kids(lab). IMO they are pretty close to the perfect breed.

I think someone asked for a picture, so here is a picture of her right after her first swim in my brothers pond in Michigan early this summer. She's a LOT bigger now, over 60 lbs.

Is there any way to train a dog not to dig? She digs up stones and chews on them. She also digs for roots to chew on and is making a mess of the yard.

Young dogs love to chew. She is digging up the yard looking for something to chew on and they also like to explore. Providing plenty of raw hide chews and bones should help with the digging. All dogs will dig at one time or another when they think they caught the scent of something under the dirt.

Dumbdog, your avatar looks exactly like a 13 year old male dog named Ace that my daughter and son-in-law recently adopted. He belonged to a elderly lady who was going to have to move into a nursing home, so she was looking for a good home for Ace. For an "old" dog, he's pretty darned energetic, loves to chase a soccer ball and bring it back to you rolling it along with his nose. And he's friendly with everyone.

Foxy was a Pomeranian that was born Jan 17, 1996 and we picked her up at the end of March of that year. She passed on due to diabetes on August 11 of this year. A very good dog that we have many fond memories of.

Sorry to hear he's gone.

This site asks you all the questions that you need to consider when buying a new dog and then will give you some different breeds that would work well for you. I've used it before and it really did a good job for me. Maybe it will help you, here is the website: Breed Selector, Dog Search, Puppy Survey, Puppy Test, Test to find the right dog, Breed Quiz. Good luck finding a dog.

And btw, petfinder.com is a great place to search for dogs as well. They have great listings of shelters and breeders as well.

Hi there, we have two 11 month-old English pointer puppies (and my husband had one when he was a kid), and they are absolutely wonderful. The only catch is that you need to be able to fulfill their exercise requirement as they are active dogs, but with your 6 acres you should be fine. They are the most gentle, sweet-natured dogs ever, and when not running around they are very cuddly couch potatoes. They are large, though, about the same size as a retriever/lab. They are very intelligent and easy to train, and they don't bark really, by nature I think being pointers they are like stealth dogs so if something is up they go quiet not into barking mode. They're not really guard dogs, but once I was out walking them and there was kind of a strange man lurking about and they went all head low, bristling and growling - needless to say he didn't come near. If you hunt, they can also be working companions. If you don't, however, it is best to get pointers from the show lines not the hunting lines as they make better family pets (ours are hunters though and are still great family pets). You can see photos of our puppies on The French Country Challenge
    (Hold on, Twitter just directed me to this forum but I see the date is 2007! Anyway, if anyone else is reading this, pointers are the greatest!)