Thread: Water from creek

Water from creek

Anyone with experience or referrals on drawing water from a creek for homestead? I'm looking for advice on properly installing a sumbersible pump in a sump or barrel next ot eh creek.

Re: Water from creek

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    next ot eh creek.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume this means " next to the creek "

One could use concrete manhole sections or pipe. Dig a hole with a backhoe. Lay in a layer of stone/sand aggregate. Place concrete section. Back fill with more stone aggregate. A proper cover should also be placed on top.

This should provide water that has had debris filtered from it and also allow for a large sump volume for smaller particulates to settle out.

Check regulations for your area and also note the water should be tested and have a proper treatment
    system. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Do you mean to say, you want to dig a hole and install a barrel in the ground next to the creek? If so, how is the water going to get into the barrel?

bob...

Not really sure. It's sounding like I need to actually dig a well at an appropriate distance form the creek, then I can install a submersible pump and have improved pressure.

That would be a better idea and the water will be much better quality.

bob...

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You can probably get a publication from the Dept of Natural Resources that deals with developing creek and spring water for domestic use. Spring water has fewer problems but the supply can be "iffy" and springs do flow on top of clay layers which could collect undesirable subsurface water from your neighbor's septic tank. Creeks can be kind of difficult because they fluctuate so much and high flows can silt up your intake, plus there's that geriatric beaver that sort of died just upstream...... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    CJDave