Thread: Garage Foor..

Garage Foor..

I've got an older garage on my property and it's got a real rough and uneven concrete floor in it. I'll try and post a pic later but it's ugly. Is it best to take it out and start over or can it be salvaged and repaired with a new surface? Anyone delt with this before?

I'm also wanting to raise the roof on it. It's got 8' high doors on it and I would like 12's with a 13 or 14' ceiling inside. I don't think it would be too hard to jack it up and extend the wall height and put her back down. If I build the walls ahead of time and get a crane in here for couple hours, throw walls up . Anyone ?

thanks!

Re: Garage Foor..

How big is the garage and how good are the footings?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The garage is 32wide X 30deep. Has 3 8X8 sectional OH doors and one man door. Can't tell how good the footings are but the pad and garage are sitting nice and level , they look OK.

Jer

Okay. Could you jack up the garage and pour another floor about 4 inches thick and then install the stub walls?

You might need a permit for the stub walls as they may go into column designation after a certain height.

So you think it would be best to jack from the bottom of the walls rather than cut the trusses free and raise it from there? I'm on farm land so I doubt they would give me trouble for raising the garage 3 or 4 feet. No one can even see the garage unless they drive well into the land .

Jer

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Stuff like this is almost always done from the bottom, and more often than not involves some sort of poured concrete short wall. If you do it from the bottom up, it's a do-it-yerself proposition; otherwise it becomes a job for a crane. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

In my opinion it would be easiest and perhaps cheapest to work from the foundation up. It may allow the proper fixing of the floor. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

The wall height is another matter. If the original was placed on a concrete block wall there is no problem. If you set on a pony wall you may need addition bracing for wind loads as there is not a continuous wall column. For the changes you wish to make this may not be a problem.

Code stuff may not become a problem till it is time to sell.