Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting hair

Cutting hair

Does anyone cut their own hair with a trimmer? I have used those kind you buy at the big box stores, but they don't seem to last long. Perhaps it is worth the money to buy a professional grade trimmer, between $100 - $200. Seems like they would last me a long time as I would only use them once or twice a month compared to a barber using it all day long. Does anyone have one and what brand is it?
    Best Regards,
    Highsmith

Re: Cutting hair

I haven't been to a barber since 1-12-2000 when I bought the Wahl "Homecut Adjustable", Model MC clippers from Walmart for $21.96 plus tax. My wife started doing my haircuts back then, but in recent times, I just shear it all off, so sometimes I just do it myself. I'm not sure what kind of "trimmer" you have in mind, but I can't see how any hair clippers could be any better than what I have.

We've got a Wahl hair trimmer kit also. Got it at Sears. It was actually a lower price than Walmart.
    Used it for a about 5 years now and it works great. I cut the 2 kids hair. My wife cuts my hair and she goes to the beauty parlor.
    Don't understand why she won't let me or the kids cut her hair?

My BIL has used a FLOWBEE for decades. I finally got one a year or so after retiring and haven't been to a barber since (5-6 years). I also have done my mom's hair, my wife's and some of her lady friends and a few guy friends (not on a regular basis but as a favor or demo of the Flowbee so they can see the results and buy one).

After 5-6 years I broke a plastic guide and bought a whole new set for $12. The Flowbee hooks to a vacuum cleaner (I use a shop vac) and uses plastic gauges to set the length to which the hair will be cut. There are tapered gauges for doing the sides of a typical man's cut around the ears and back of the neck.

The way it works is: the vacuum pulls the hair into the plastic spacer and if any hairs are longer than the spacer they are cut off and sucked into the vacuum cleaner. It takes me 3-4 minutes to give a decent haircut to myself without using a mirror, never accidentally cutting too much, and not a single stray piece of cut hair on me anywhere. The vacuum gets all the hair as it is cut so there is no mess on you, your clothes, the floor or even in or on the cutter. There is NOTHING to clean up, EVER, except emptying the vacuum cleaner (which is used for other things too.

http://www.flowbee.com/

I don't own stock and am not affiliated with Flowbee except as a retail customer who is very pleased. I should have asked for a commission as I have generated a lot of sales for them (but glad to do it as their system is terrific.)

I have had other clippers and still have a couple but only use them on my beard and mustache which is not handled well by the Flowbee. I have a small set of rechargeable clippers as touted by the plaid dude from "Tool Time" for beard and mustache work and I sometimes trim around my ears a bit with it or give a little definition to the back of my neck because the Flowbee can't cut super close.

At $60 for the Flowbee it pays for itself pretty quickly. I don't know what a haircut costs now but 5-6 years ago it was $15-$20 and they didn't even shave the edges with a straight razor.

I actually can look in one or two mirrors and do the right thing with a conventional clipper but with the Flownbee I can do the whole thing without a mirror faster that conventional clippers and not make a mistake or cut something too close. I even like the way the vacuum pulling on my hair feels.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I cannot understand what the fuss about haircuts and tools to do so is all about!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Due no doubt to short memory (don't recall having hair on head.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I don't recall hearing of the flowbee before. I do remember, many years ago, having a barber who got some clippers that had a vacuum attached to suck up the clippings as he worked. He didn't keep that system very long before going back to the old way. Of course, my Wahl clippers have a number of plastic "feet" for cutting hair different lengths, and one tapered for the sides. There was a time when we used them, but now, I just shear all my hair off with the clippers.

It may also be called "A Perfect Head" [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Don't have to cover imperfections with hair!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's all right Egon, you just grew through your hair, is all. Happens all the time. Mostly to the good lookin' guys. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cindy; you have no idea what it is like for a male member of the species to have a perfect head!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]