Thread: Alfalfa

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Alfalfa

Does anyone have any experience using alfalfa to increase the production of dairy animals? I've recently started feeding my dairy goats hay that is 1/3 timothy, 1/3 clover and 1/3 alfalfa. It seems to be increasing milk production, but I haven't been using it long enough to really calculate it, as weather variables also effect milk production.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Alfalfa

Rich, new to the board, dont know if this is will help much but here it goes. Yes alfalfa will help your milk production, dont know that much about dairy goats but if your feeding 1/3 tim,1/3 clover and 1/3 alfalfa your protien is up there and if the timothy was cut at the right time even better. the biggest problem with the clover and alfalfa in the north east is getting it dry enough for baled hay, most dairy guys make baleage or chop it for haylege. I know with cows you have to get some dry rough hay into them in the spring before you let them out on fields with alot of clover and alfalfa because they will bloat. would like to hear more about your set up when you have time. gshark