Thread: Roosters?

Roosters?

I have 8 laying hens, which 4 are leghorns, barred rock, rhode island red, buff orpington and a black hen that lays a large green/teal colored egg they are all around 3 years old and I was wanting to get a rooster replace so I can produce some chicks to replace the hens that become supper. I am lost on what breed of rooster would be best for my small flock. I appreciate any help, thanks Jerry

Re: Roosters?

Here is one that is ornamental as well as functional.

He is Polish and not having a BAD HAIR DAY that is how they look.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

That is cool looking. So if I decided to get polish rooster how can you find them. Jerry

I'm assuming, of course, that you live out in the country where you don't have to worry about city ordinances. We moved into this little house in town in September 2005 and when outdoors my wife and I had both noticed a rooster crowing; sounded like it might be one to two hundred yards south of us. And of course we certainly didn't mind; kind of like the sound, in fact. But then one evening, a girl I'd guess to be 12 or 13 years old, and her slighly younger brother, rang our doorbell and they had a petition they were asking us to sign. It seems the rooster was her pet, neighbors had complained of the noise of the crowing, she had been told she'd have to get rid of the rooster, and she was looking for support to get to keep it. I told her the rooster did not bother us in the least, but I could understand how it might bother others, and that I would not sign her petition. The fact is that we have a city ordinance prohibiting the noise of crowing roosters and barking dogs if anyone complains and no petition was going to override the law. At any rate, we never heard the rooster again.

Bird I understand your reasoning but it is a shame the poor girl could not have a pet rooster. The ordances against fowl were primarily aimed at people who wanted to keep lots of chickens ect. Which not many people would these days. An example. The last military base I lived on we lived right on the main parade field about 20 ac in size. It was surrounded by what most called VIP houses. we have a parrot who we put on the front porch everyday. He loved to SQUAKKKKKK very loud and could be heard for many blocks away. People used to walk there dogs by our house just so they could talk to him. He Squakked specially loud on the days they had parade practice. It got to the point the commanders would give a command and wait for him to Squak. The troops loved it. We of course locked him inside on the day of the actual parades. And then we would get ask where the bird was.
    everyone (most anyway) loved it.Also not to include the Generals wife who stuck her finger in his cage one day and he promptly bit a huge chunk out of her finger. HEHEHEHEH

Jim, our little town still has some farm land. Three blocks west of us is a rather large equestrian facility, and on the south edge of that is a goat ranch. Two blocks east of us is a tract of land I'd guess at 10-15 acres with 5 horses and a block north of us is a home with 3 horses. On several occasions, we've had guinea fowl wander through our front yard; no idea where they came from or where they went.

But our ordinance is not aimed at people who want to keep lots of chickens; they can do that. The ordinance says "an animal which habitually howls, barks, yelps, or crows" which seems to almost be nothing but dogs and roosters. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] If one person complains to the police department, they have to notify the owner to alleviate the situation. If that doesn't work, and two residents are willing to sign a complaint and appear to testify in court, then charges are filed and fines are possible.

When I was 14-15 years old in Marlow, OK, I used to mow yards for my spending money and one of my customers was an old lady who had a parrot that she simply turned loose every morning, it would spend the day high in a tree in her yard and go back to a perch on the back porch in the evening for her to take it inside. And when I'd go to mow her yard, that parrot would be squaking, "Hello, boy, Hello, boy" repeatedly and when I started down the street to leave, it would be squaking, "Goodbye, boy, Goodbye, boy."

We had a parrot for a few years. It was caught in the wilds of Pomona, CA a couple years after it has escaped during a fire in a pet store. It had been imitating a crow and was shot in silhouette during evening twilight. The shooter caled me and I drove 125 miles to get it and care for it. Its wing never got good enough for it to fly and gain altitude just maintain and slowly go down.

The neighborhood where I lived in San Diego had flocks of wild Mexican parrots living in the "wild." At the Gov lab where my wife and I worked and the surrounding area there were flocks of large sulfur breasted blue macaws living in the "wild."

One parrot is a novelty when it squawks but try a whole flock hanging out in palm trees around your house. Their calls are not musical in the least, just loud raucous NOISE but they are nothing compared to the macaws!

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I live on the edge of town with about 3.5 acres. My hens where doing very good about staying on the property but for some reason they have started rooming on the neighbors property. So I'm in the process of deciding whether to build a pen or find a new home for them in the country. I would still like to try to raise some chicks from my hens. Jerry