Thread: Cutting roots prior to pulling up stumps

Hybrid View

Re: Cutting roots prior to pulling up stumps

I use my Ford 755 TLB to pull stumps with the backhoe. It is a beast weighing in at 18,000#. Some 8" stumps will come out in 1 pop, but usually anything larger than that will lift the front of the machine right off the ground when I grab hold of them and pull. Then, a little digging on all sides breaks enough roots to get them out easily. Be carefull about breaking something on the machine it's attached to. I've heard of guys bending hyd cylinder rods on smaller backhoes doing stuff like that. Easy does it and moving a little extra dirt is cheaper than fixing a busted hoe.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I have some 20 trees to cut down

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite method for felling trees and stumping at the same time is to leave tree uncut before stumping.

you should probably be using a tractor with at least a ROPS &amp; pay up your life insurance before attempting this.

I start with the back hoe straight on to the tree so that pushing on the tree will result in the tree falling in the direction i want it to fall. Then I dig on each side of the tree back to the resulting intersection of the backhoes movement. once I'm down 2-3 feet on each side I start testing the tree by pushing on it with the backhoe until the tree falls over. I then push on the underside of the stump to shore it up while I go cut the tree off.
    Then I did out the rest of the now loosened up stump

Start with small trees at first until you build some idea of how the whole process works.

BOL

Dubba,
    sounds like a good method. I'll have to try it when I have a tree I can get behind to push over. Unfortunately, most of the time I can only approach the trees from the open area where I want to drop it. Your method would save having to prop up the trunk for trimming and slicing into firewood.