Thread: Granite kitchen sink

Granite kitchen sink

Has anyone worked with a granite kitchen sink? It's a Franke brand Model DP3322-1. It says it's granite, and describes it as a rock hard composite material that won't scratch, etc. I want to add another 1 1/2" hole to put in a soap dispenser. Can I drill through this stuff? If so, what kind of drill/hole saw do I need?

Re: Granite kitchen sink

I'm prepared to be corrected, but if it say's it's a composite material, chances are that it a resin product with ground up granite in the mix. Similar to "cultured marble".

If that's the case a hole saw with a fine tooth and a low speed should do the job.

If it's real granite, a diamond hole saw should work. In either case, take it slow and allow for cooling.

Edited to add that I looked at the website and it IS a composite material. So I'd go with the hole saw and a low speed.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Harbor Freight has some carbide hole saws that will do the deed if you have granite particles in resin. I have the real thing (quarried granite rock) and although you can drill it with carbide you won't make many holes per bit. Depending oin diameter and thickness (my granite is thick) it could be more than one hole saw per hole.

Diamond blades in my wet saw don't last really well cutting the thick granite.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Diamond Core Bit??

http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/Ameri...ult.htm?M9.htm

Whatever is required but do not start until you have the proper tool and guidance at hand or there may be a granite boat anchour at hand.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Last month, my next door neighbor remodeled a bathroom in their home. I don't know exactly what the tile was that he put on both the floor and the walls, but it was pretty thick 18" squares and of course he had to cut holes for water outlets and knobs with a hole saw. He said Home Depot told him which hole saw to use. Well, he burned up his cordless Ryobi drill and they gave him another one. But he was making very little progress with the new one, too, so I loaned him my corded drill and he finally got the job done. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So Bird, are you going to send him your drill? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I use cordless drills a lot, but sometimes you just need that AC power.
    Gary

Gary, I have an old Makita 7.2 volt cordless with two batteries and that's what I've been using. But I had just bought that corded half inch Craftsman hammer drill and hadn't even used it. So I let the neighbor break it in. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Sometimes the cordless just doesn't have the guts. I have a Bosch that I use most of the time. But I also have an older Makita hammer drill with the two speed gearbox and lit's of torque. I usually save it for use with the larger hole saws and the like. 98% of my drilling and screw driving is done with the Bosch.

I also have a Bosch 7/8" SDS rotary hammer. It puts any "hammer drill" I've ever seen to shame. It drill at least 4 times faster than my hammer drill with a new bit. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary

I bought a carbide hole saw at Menards and it did the job easily. I just took it slow and took a couple breaks to let things cool off. Thanks everyone for your help.

Glad it worked out for you. I'm sure the family's happy with the dispenser.
    Gary