Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Nova Scotia Home

Re: New Nova Scotia Home - Finished !

Impressive! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's certainly pretty, and I don't know much about the houses up in that area, but as I've gotten older the first thing I think of is how much maintenance will be required in the future, how hard will it be to do that maintenance, and do I intend to do it myself or hire it done. And having personally known some older folks with 2 story homes who were no longer able to get up the stairs so for years never saw anything but the first floor, I decided I want everything easily accessible; even handicap accessible if possible. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Bird, I was thinking a lot about that too. It's all vinyl siding, vinyl clad windows, 30-year shingles, and a master bedroom and ensuite on the main floor. Upstairs is a guest bedroom and a second bedroom that I will use as an office/computer room, as long as I can make it upstairs. I guess the most future maintenance will be the decks. You know what they say about decks - they were invented by carpenters who wanted guaranteed future employment! It's got radiant floor heat on the main floor (never had it before, love it so far). I ran the same tubing upstairs and through baseboard heaters for the heat up there. Haven't even had to turn them on yet, it gets warm enough from heat rising from the main level.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

That does sound good, Ian. There's no doubt you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

And looking at the difference between the 2 photos, I see the snow melted by the time you walked around to the other side. So, all that they say about those snowy Canadian winters must be to scare off the Texans who would want to move there for the cooler summers.

Seriously though, great looking house!

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Seeing as I have to climb two flights of stairs to get to the master bedroom and have some shingling to do that's up three stories I'm starting to think like Bird. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

At least I don't need a map to find my way around the house! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Ehh [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Looks like a beautiful place to retire to. How about some pictures of the view from the top?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Hi Gary, thanks. I haven't been on the roof yet, but here's what is at the end of the path that goes beside the house, down to the river. The ice is all bunched up from the tide coming and going, but it froze over as it's 50-50 fresh and salt water at this point in the river.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

I like that picture. Looks like the waves are frozen, and I guess they are! I need to go back and look at the URL you posted earlier. I've been to and through NS a few times, most recently about 5 years ago. Met some friends on PEI and then we traveled to NS and took a side trip to NFL. Didn't have time to go any further than Cornerbrook though. Did manage a day at Gros Morne National Park with a boat ride on Western Brook Pond. Pretty nice place.

Been to Pictou, Truro, Cape Breton, and of course North Sidney. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Frank Lloyd Wright would approve! (Especially after the porch roof is finished.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"