Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiping out weeds for New Year...

Re: Wiping out weeds for New Year...

Gary, Take a look at the ingredient list for PREEN, please. What is in there besides corn gluten? I buy corn gluten several 55 gallon drums at a time and if that is all PREEN is I'll give my cattle feed a try as weed killer.

If the high protein content is what prevents the weeds from germinating what then prevents PREEN from interfering with desired seed germination or plant growth, or...?

Pat

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks, Gary. My wife knew what it was when I mentioned it as she has used it. She said it will help after we kill the weeds with Roundup. What we'll have to ascertain is whether there will be issues with the garden plants once it down in the New Year. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

-Bob

According to their website, it should not be applied until the plants are 3-4" tall. It's supposed to keep all seeds from germinating. Now I'm guessing that it would have little or no effect on plants that spread by runners. Because of course they are not seeds.

The website contains a link to a PDF of the complete label. Label The label lists all the weeds it's good for. Well, bad for I guess. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The MSDS says that this is the active ingredient: a,a,a-trifluoro-2,6-dinitro-N N-dipropyl-p-toluidine (Trifluralin)
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, Thanks for posting the label. Aparently, the corn gluten in this product is an INERT INGREDIENT used as a diluent. Clever marketing hype mentioning corn gluten as an all natural byproduct of corn processing but neglecting to mention up front that the corn gluten is there as a convenient spreading agent and advertising hype point not because it has anything to do with the chemical effect of the plant poison, Trifluralin.

Triflurallin is a well known herbacide with links to cancer in test animals. I like the part where the "COMPANY" mentions that some folks may be allergic to it.

I'm not doing a "Chicken Little" here but wew need to be aware of what we are contaminating our soil, pets, ourselves, etc with and be aware it is NOT a benign corn product.

Here is the skinny on the safety of the active ingredient, Trifluralin:

http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste...ts/triflur.pdf

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"