Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiders!

Spiders!

I am extremely arachnophobic and it took me years to muster up the courage to kill a daddy long-legs. While I recognize spiders have a place in the ecosystem, I would prefer that they all die.

Anyone with me? LOL

I hate spiders too. All of them! lol. I`m not afraid to kill them though. I can`t tell the difference in species and that scares me because there are some pretty bad ones out there.

I do not mind spiders in general. If I find a spider in the house and I know what it is I will leave it alone. If there is any doubt in my mind that it might be poisonous then I kill.

Where I live there are no poisonous spiders so I'm not that bothered. If I lived in Australia, where my best friend lives, I'd be more scared I think!

Well, the only one we have here is the brown recluse. Now, for the most part they are not aggressive and getting bit is rare. Even if you do get bit, it is not as serious as other poisonous spiders. None the less, anything that even closely resembles a brown recluse has to be squished.

I know most spiders are harmless but they scare me. I saw a dead tarantula in a container once at the grocery store and I was clammy, shaky, had a racing heart, the whole bit.

For the most part, I don't like them, especially in the house. But I do know that they kill bugs and flies, so they are an important part of the ecology, so I'll catch them and put them outside. But now, recluses and black widows, they're smashed on the spot!

My wife wanted a pet tarantula to help her get over her fear of spiders. I don't mess with it but she holds it sometimes. She had gotten bitten by a brown recluse years ago and was determined to get over her fear.

I don't mind spiders at all - and in fact we have quite a few who live in our house. We don't have poisonous ones though. I am sorry to hear that the fear of spiders can cause so much distress - and that if you don't like them you won't want them in your house. The killing of poisonous spiders I also understand - I regularly kill those poisonous caterpillars that are so harmful for dogs - but why kill harmless spiders ?

I am one of those people who gently removes all spiders in a glass cup turned upside down and a piece of cardboard scooter under it. I take them to the garden away from where I work and let them know that outside is where they should live NOT inside. Yes the brown recluse is a tricky one for us insect lovers, I have even been known to put them outside, but once lived in an infested building. I like the idea of letting them know your house is your home and that if they choose to live they should be outside. Clears the karma - ha.