Thread: Age of dog to start using an invisible fence

Age of dog to start using an invisible fence

Our Golden Retriever, Libby, is 3 months old now. She's really growing fast! She is doing well with the training. We've taught her not to jump up on people, not to bite, etc. The only real problem we're having now is that she wants to chase the cats! So, I'm thinking it's time to get the wireless invisible fence I've been considering. I went to Menards and looked at one and it doesn't really say what age to start using it. It just said the dog needs to be old enough to be trained. What age have some of you folks started using one of these type fences?

Re: Age of dog to start using an invisible fence

I can't answer your question, but can we please have some pictures of the puppy? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

3 months is plenty old but you have to be there when you first use it and reinforce everything with voice commands and praise when it stops. Just turning onthe fence and letting it go ain't the way to do it.

I agree with Gary AND Jim. The dog is plenty old enough to be trained to the fence but you need to invest some time to make it go more smoothly and positively.

Dogs are supposed to be smarter than cattle and I have watched calves getting their first introduction to an electric fence (which the invisible fence simulates but with the added benefit of the warning tone.) We tie strips of cloth to the wire so the stock and the local deer population sees it (some invisible fence techniques use marker flags during initial training to give the dog visual cues.) Calves are curious and will go up to sniff the cloth and take a jolt in the nose. Usually once is enough and they don't sniff the markers again. Any accidental contact reinforces the message that touching the fence is uncomfortable.

Smarter breeds like yours should get used to it pretty fast. I have had Afghan Hounds that would probably NEVER make the connection (some of the dumbest dogs on earth.) All working dogs should be capable of being trained rather well in just a few sessions.

Being there in person for the first few sessions and encounters is important. If you let the dog evaluate the joy of cat chasing vs the discomfort of a mild shock the dog may choose the chase. You want to be there so the dog associates the pleasure of pleasing you and maybe getting a treat with compliance and the negative reward (punishment of the shock) as a strong reinforcement that never sleeps)

Sometimes people don't train their animal to just not do something but instead accidentally train them to not do something while you are there. The corrective shock delivered when you aren't there is a good thing.

I am also a firm believer that radio controlled training collars are a very good thing also and will help train a younger dog faster than without using one.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"