Thread: Driveway Drainage on Hillside

Driveway Drainage on Hillside

Hello,
    I have a drainage problem with our driveway. It has a steep slope, on the side of a hill. The uphill side is where the drainage problem is. When it rains, water runs down the uphill side, eating away at the edge of the driveway. It will not run out onto the driveway because there is too much of an edge.
    I have thought of lining the junction of the edge of the driveway and hill with pavers, rock or gravel, and have also thought of having the entire edge repaved so that is joins into the side of the hill better.
    There is about 150 feet of this problem area, and if I don't act soon, the driveway will just keep getting worse on that side.
    Any other ideas?

Re: Driveway Drainage on Hillside

Fill the hillside ditch with coarse rock. Install some ditch barriers to reduce water flow velocity. Install some culverts across the road.

Swales across the road filled with gravel may also be used instead of culverts.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Driveway Drainage on Hillside

The "ditch" is not much of a ditch, just small area where the grass meets the driveway that is getting washed out. Oh, by the way, it is a paved driveway. This erosion is eating away at the edge. That is why I thought of extending the pavement further into the edge of the hill.