Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Body as a Tool

The Body as a Tool

Not seeing a category for my question I have made use of this Forum.

My problem is simple, after 4 or 5 hours of tractor operation or any of the other assorted outdoor chores many of us engage in my body seems to lose power. In short it almost stops functioning in a reasonable manner. Over the last 3 to 4 years this problem has been escalating. It can be made serviceable for the next day with the insertion into an air condition climate, application of cold packs to the shoulders and neck and hydration with preferably a good Check Pilsner. Bed time usually must be before 10:00PM for any type of response the following day.

Only being in the middle 60's age should not be factor. So I'm puzzled. Do others have this problem??? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: The Body as a Tool

Yep, Egon, I'm afraid I have the same problem, but perhaps more severe, and it seems to be getting worse faster all the time.

Egon,

I think it's called Early Onset Old Age! I've got it too, but I'm about 3 years behind you.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Egon, you are not alone. It's gotta be age. I look back at that barn I built, just a few years ago, and say, "I don't think I could do that again". Then I think of my dad on that project, in his 70's, running around, balancing on those floor joists, putting me to shame. My only consolation was imagining that when he went back to his trailer each night, he would cry himself to sleep with the aches and pains. (I did.) [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Even my small projects take longer, mostly from going slower- I can't work at the pace I used to. I also need to concentrate more on safety, these days.

Egon, I had some of those symptoms, fairly severe too. It turned out to be statin drugs prescribed for cholesterol reduction. When I stopped the drug I got way better in just a few days. On the drug I would have difficulty getting up and walking after more than 10-15 minutes in a chair. I had lower back pain more than my usual amount and I didn't bound up the stairs nearly as well.

Off the drug for a few days to a week and I can race up the stairs two at a time with no problem. Back feels better and sitting in chair for an hour I can get up and walk upright as good or better than most folks over 60 I have observed.

Then the doc prescribes a different statin and after about 4-6 weeks the symptoms slowly return. I quit the drug, the symptoms abate, the doctor prescribes yet another statin. I just quit taking 5th type of statin drug and back to running up the stairs pretty well and getting out of chair and walking upright pretty good. I tried time release niacin (Niaspan) and it did not give the 100 year old man symptoms but it didn't do much for cholesterol either. I think there may be one other statin left to try again that I used to take before changing medial plans and getting a different list of approved meds.

So, for any CBNers taking statins AND having soreness, weakness, arthritis type symptoms, you might check with your doc and try going off the drug for a couple weeks to see if the drug is a big part of your "OLD AGE." Many people do find a drug they tolerate well.

Egon, maybe your symptoms indicate a thermal disparity brought on or exacerbated by lack of proper cranial insulation.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, you make me wonder now. Until this year, I've not been taking any medications regularly, but I let the doctor talk me into taking one 20 mg simvastatin tab a day for cholesterol and one 12.5 mg hydrochlorothiaz cp a day for blood pressure about 4 months ago, and so much of the time I just have to force myself to get up and do anything. I have a problem with climbing stairs and ladders; seemingly partially due to knee pains and partially due to muscle weakness.

And I have a cousin who is about 3 years younger than I and he's been taking a bunch of pills every day for cholesterol, blood pressure, and diabetes. A couple of weeks ago, he told me he threw away all his pills; just quit taking any medications and said he feels better than he has in years.

Bird, I suggest you read the fine print on possible side effects. The drug should have the makers test results from trials.

I'd be a little leery of reading unsubstantiated BS on the internet regarding any drug. I don't think there is a drug or food or anything that someone somewhere isn't making outrageous claims against.

There are responsible sites where your drug will have the real deal listed. All the statins I have read about have a warning against possible serious muscle damage with one of the symptoms being weakness.

I do believe statins are a good thing for many people trying to reduce cholesterol but not EVERYONE.

Regarding giving up diabetes meds. Probably a very bad idea if the diabetes is very serious at all. I have had lots of friends with diabetes and probably am as aware of its treatment as anyone who doesn't have it except for doctors of course.

There is virtually always a trade off when you take medicines or receive treatments or surgeries. You need to get all the facts available, including alternatives and decide in your situation what is better, treating the condition (and how) or not. There are lots of things that are serious, take prostate tumors/cancer for example. If the tumor is slow growing and the chance of it becoming life threatening during the reasonable life expectancy of the patient is sufficiently small then not treating it may be the clear best choice.

Just getting frustrated and going into denial and stopping all meds is usually NOT a good option. Medicine/medical treatment is not an all or nothing endeavor. Proper management will consider alternatives and degrees of treatment not just all or nothing.

I have had to take a very active role in my medical situation more than once. Once I was told that my problems with range of motion in my right arm (couldn't put hand in right rear pocket and had lots of pain trying) was simply old age. I inquired as to the rapid onset and was assured that arthritis comes and goes sometimes quite quickly. I went to a young sports doctor who prescribed 4 physical therapy sessions and home exercises. In two weeks my right arm worked better than before the problem surfaced. What caused the "frozen shoulder?" Driving T posts one handed with a 14 lb sledge. Still my regular doctor went for age and arthritis armed with my sledgehammer story.

If something doesn't seem right, maybe it isn't. I have great respect for doctors but they aren't omniscient. I partner with my doctor and I don't let myself be trumped by his doctorness unless I am truly satisfied with his opinion and then I frequently hit the net to get smarter on the topic of interest.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yep, Pat, I agree with everything you said. Of course I've read the fine print for the stuff I'm taking. Don't all medications have a warning that they may be worse than the problem they're supposed to fix? [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] And my cousin did consult his doctor before throwing out the pills, and he did what you're supposed to do; i.e., proper diet and lost 20 pounds first. I told him I found those 20 plus nearly 20 more. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Ahh Pat:

I have the feeling it may be medication by the name of Diazinol [ high blood pressure] that may be the contributing cause.

Now, the question is should I be stiff and sore or just plain stiff and cold??? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Or maybe I should just land in Shannon with my bicycle and continue on a tour of the European nations ending in Greece? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have lots of cranial insulation; weuns call it caps with earflaps!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Bird:

For quite some time I also had symptoms very similar to yours. I manage to waste many a day in my black chair reading/snoozing and snacking [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Fortunately things are getting better now. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's a very distinct possibility your brothers weight travelled North. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]