Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Body as a Tool

Re: The Body as a Tool

Egon, Sorry to here you are on the light duty list also. I have finished one week and have two more to go. Forced idleness is NOT FUN!!! I don't mind laying about if I know I can jump up for any or no reason at all and do anything I want but having to go slow, never raise the BP or heart rate, not put head below heart, no sneezing, no blowing nose, pick up nothing up heavier than a shoe and on and on while my second cutting of hay is windrowed in the field and subject to being ruined by rain and I can only pretend to not care. (First cutting was ruinned by rain.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

The question is; did you follow me under the Dark Star or did I follow you? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Hope your Idleness is over quickly as those pending jobs just keep building up. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What we need are more activities that are not related to any kind of timing or schedule. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Or should we just consider it a period of fine tuning and sharpening the cutting edges to the atomic level. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, a very good friend, a former next door neighbor, who now lives in Kansas City, twice in a couple of years made trips to the emergency room and spent a few days visiting their facilities. It sounds as if he had the same problem, and same experiences, as you're having. Anyway, on the 28th of last month, he went for a planned visit and the doctors shortened his interior plumbing by 14 inches. He was only in the hospital for 3 days before going home. And on his followup visit to the doctor this week, he was told he can resume eating anything he wants.

Good luck and we'll hope your infection doesn't return.

Egon, Dark star? Black hole? I don't know. Today is day 8 of my recovery and 9th day since problem presented itself and the beginning of the 5th day of no bleeding.

I would have been a lot more composed if I wasn't aware of the details of the death of Attila the Hun (original version.) I went to a tool fair with a friend yesterday and got a few items. I felt really strange letting him load them in the truck as most weighed more than the "shoe limit" imposed by the doc. First I went on-line and compared the flyer I had received to Harbor Freight web site. Some items I had been interested in but wouldn't pay the HF price were significantly cheaper so I got them. Others were about the same and yet others were more expensive so I will just wait for a subsequent trip to HF. We have a new HF (Norman, OK home of OU) closer than the one in OKC.

I got a hydraulic lift cart that only lifts about 700 lbs but I don't usually manually manipulate things even close to that so it should be really handy. It will let me adjust to the height of the pickup bed so I can drag something onto it and then push the cart to where you want the item and then lower near the ground to unload. This will help prevent overloading my personal tool (body) as often or as much.

I also got a 1 ton chain hoist. They had 3 ton hoists for only twice the 1 ton price but I just don't need (or have a handy place to attach) a 3 ton. This too should help reduce the wear and tear on my body-tool. The refurb genny I got is a struggle for two big guys to lift into the pickup but the chain hoist will make it easy on my wife.

The problem with putting too fine an edge on a tool is that it is too easy to mess it up.

Now that there hasn't been any bleeding for 3+ days, I think its going to heal up and be better than new so my recovery (now) can be predicted to be a slam dunk (but in seriously slow motion with two weeks left to piddle around.)

Hang in there buddy. You got to get better in time for winter sports, logging, and all that!

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

If things progress in a proper manner hopefully I'll be making a planned visit for scheduled maintenance. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

This is amazing that there is more than one of suffering from a similar problem.

I went in to have my old tool checked today as I ain't been "up to snuff" for about a week. Turns out my large plumbing pipe, the last one in the series, is having problems, and leaking red and black fluids like crazy, sometimes uncontrollably. This is similar to Egon's diverticulitis as it affects the same pipe, just in a different way.

Doc gave me a lot of additives that are supposed to help get things back on track. He is hitting the plumbing from the top side as well as the bottom side. It just ain't natural to administer additives that way. That is like trying to add a gas additive through the car's tail pipe.

Doc told me to start a "low fiber" diet and to stick with it until he tells me differently. Came home and looked at the "low fiber" diet, and am not impressed at all. What the heck is a bullion cube, and why do you make broth with it. I thought you made broth from real chickens, beef, etc.

Told my wife everything that's worth eating is on the "do not eat column". I'll bet there is a dietitian sitting in an office somewhere laughing at the stuff he is recommending we eat.

Oh well, hopefully, better times are around the corner.

Bob

Bob, didn't you know that doctors have a standard recommendation for everyone? If you smoke, quit smoking, get more exercise, don't eat anything that tastes good, and if it hurts, take an aspirin.

Broth, the delight of a hungry man. The Hospice Broth consisted of warm water over which a well boiled bone had been passed. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Darned near ate the Popsicle sticks! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Fortunately my diet is not really restricted but recommends lots of fibre.

Boy's oh Boy's we must be a gettin on in years discussing all our aches and pains.