Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LARGE Western Diamondback

LARGE Western Diamondback

Kinda rare in Arkansas, we have mostly Timbers and Easterns. Found crossing a road near Hot Springs, must have been up here on vacation from Texas.

Re: LARGE Western Diamondback

Do you reckon there was a little trick photography involved here? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Bird, not sure what you imply (for sure) but note the strain on the individual holding the catch stick, the position of his hands and the bend in the stick from the weight. It is undeniably a large snake.

The snake is being held such that it is closer to the camera than the men by a fair margin (percentage wise) so the perspective is distorted and the snake is made to look proportionally larger than it would if held directly between two of the men. I don't think anything sophisticated was done. I think the snake and men were arranged together as depicted in the shot, not a composite with posing men and a "digitally added" snake.

This sort of photo is usually done with either fish, in which case look for really large scales or with someone holding the Eiffel tower or such in the palm of their hand. Just one picture, no digital or other effects but with (perhaps deliberately) distorted perspective.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird, I'll translate Pat's answer: it was an earthworm painted to look like a snake.

Story was in the paper yesterday, 78" long. A highway mowing crew found the snake, animal control captured it, and AR Game/Fish relocated it to the Felsenthal Wildlife Management Area. This being a large swamp where nobody goes anyway because of all the gators.

Thank you for that extra note, Laze. It's always good to hear that they didn't kill this important part of the ecological chain. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here's a Timber Rattler that was killed by my cattle farmer neighbor this evening. His wife discovered it coiled by the mailbox and I heard her scream almost 1/4 mile away. Ol' codger has more moxie than me going after that thing with a machete. 14 buttons and right at 6' in length.

We have good numbers of Timbers around here and in my experience they are not aggressive at all. The problem is, like Copperheads, they hide very well and do not use their rattles to warn you as a Diamondback would.

Hehe, I took that picture Bird, I told him to hold it out to the side for ya. Looks kinda anorexic though compared to the Diamondback of similar length, I've certainly seen fatter Timbers.

Snopes

I'll try it again. Link did not work.
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/claysnake.asp