Thread: septic tank

septic tank

anyone know where or how to find a septic tank? I've traced the line from the house 30" down in the ground out 10' to 20' all I've got is fox holes! I went out another 10' 15" down and no luck finding the tank. only the pipe . its a 1500 gal. tank . the septic plan is no good as it had only the " proposed house site and is not correct. I dug at 20' according to the plan and as mentioned only got the pipe again. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Re: septic tank

Make a metal probe. It will be easier than digging but do not punch holes in the pipe. ??? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Water jetting with a small diameter pipe may also work for location.

If you have one pipe location try and line up with the house exit and continue probing. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe build a fence useing a powered post hole digger. That will be sure to find it! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Brimfield, a metal detector also works. The lids have metal re-bar in them that show up well on a metal detector.

If all else fails, the person who will pump the tank can usually find it easily with a probe like Egon mentioned.

Bob

Ive probed all over and no luck might try the metal detector next. stinks that my excavator sold and retitred!

I have installed both the concrete type with rebar AND plastic tanks with no metal in them. Good luck finding plastic with a metal detector.

Seismic profiling is expensive but will locate it as will a ground penetrating RADAR mounted on a sled and dragged over the area but paying an experienced septic pumping outfit and letting them find it is the most economical of the paid methods. You can use a long small diameter probe but you have to be careful to not break any clay tiles (old style) or punch a hole in plastic pipe.

A few feet of 3/8 or 1/2 inch water pipe cut off at an angle and with a "T" installed on the other end will do a decent job. You add fittings to let you connect a water hose to the "T" on the side. Another of the 3 holes in the T is screwed to the pipe. The third hole is plugged. The plug goes on the end pointing up and the pipe on the opposite end pointing down. the center, i.e. horizontal connection gets the water hose. Adding a ball valve in the hose connectioin is a very good improvement.

In use you turn on the water and shove the sharpened end into the ground, feeling for a pipe or septic tank or a leprechaun's pot of gold. The water flow blows dirt out of the way and lubricates the device for easy penetration. For hard soil you can tap on the T with a hammer (why you put the plug on top.) Don't get too carried away with the hammer as yo may have found something besides hard dirt or a rock, maybe something like a plastic pipe of a septic tank. You should find the tank and be able to map its extent. If it is a concrete lid it will probably sound different when you hit it. If it is plastic it likely won't.

You find your tank and the lid as well as aerate and irrigate part of your lawn at the same time with no extra effort!

There are some pretty cheap hearing enhancers that amplify a whisper at several yards. You can use one of those or a mechanics stethoscope or both to try to find the tank by the sound of water falling into it from a flush. I personally prefer the water pipe probe as a more sure thing but some guys swear by the listening method.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

There are companies( Hydro Physics) that will put a small fiber optic camrea thru your clean out and feed it to the tank then the camera will send an electronic signal out which they detect with a reciver at the soil surface which will pin point your tank. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We had this same problem as we had NO IDEA where the fly-by-night spec home builder may have put the tank. The septic tank guy flushed a "pill" down the toilet and tracked it electronically as it went through the pipe. We found the tank, no problem, .....except that it was located directly UNDER the propane tank. That's what happens when you buy a spec house. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, I have heard lots of "adding insult to injury" comments but installing the propane tank on top of the septic tank is a contender for worst dumb thing. Well, look on the bright side, you won't drive over the tank when the ground is soft and cause a problem.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"