Thread: Dewalt drill problem

Dewalt drill problem

I have a Dewalt DW131 1/2" drive drill. I am having a serios problem with the set screw that holds the chuck to the drill. When using the drill in reverse, the slightest bit of pressure breaks the set screw. I have broken 5 in the last week and a half. Has anyone had this problem? It is supposed to be an extremely heavy duty drill and I am wondering if it is maybe a safety feature to keep the user from getting injured or if it is just a poor design.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Re: Dewalt drill problem

Are you sure the chuck is screwed all the way on before the screw is tightened? I've replaced a number of chucks on drills; mostly pneumatic drills and in some cases had to break the screw to get the old chuck off, but it's usually not easy to do unless the chuck was not on good and solid before the screw was tightened.

That is one thing that I have made suer of each time that i replace the screw. I also have a dw130 and I have never broken one of the screws on it.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

I don't have any other ideas; that's a new problem to me.

Out of warranty? Still a call to Dewalt might reeal some assistance.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"