Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLACKTOP COATING

BLACKTOP COATING

DO YOU RECCOMEND SPRAYING BLACKTOP COATING INSTEAD OF APPLYING IT WITH A ROLLER? WHICH IS BETTER AND WHICH WILL LAST LONGER?

Re: BLACKTOP COATING

Chances are it's 6 of one or 6 of another. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For a proper job get a local asphalt company to apply a hot sealer coat. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Nah, Egon, that's 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Opps!
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Okay, it was early in the morning and dreams of a comfortable bed were still foremost in my mind! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

When I worked for a small asphalt paving company years ago(mostly driveways), we always did it with a squeegee. Just poured the stuff on the driveway and pulled it where we wanted it. Don't recall ever getting an uneven application, like you might with a roller. Still see people doing it this way today.

A squeegee takes more base material and does a better job. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Rollers are quick and give the proper look! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon,
    Not trying to be contrary, but I'm curious: What's the "proper look" for a sealed driveway that is achieved with a roller? Just never heard of that. I'm also wondering if any of those old customers complained after I left the job that it didn't "look right" [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Also, by pouring it on and using a squeegee, the material will get into the gaps between the aggregate. A roller may skip over these small "pits" and not really "seal". Hence, you WILL use more material with a squeegee, but, as you say, get a better job. I also found the squeegee method to be pretty quick. It takes a little practice, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of how much and where to pour each time and how to maneuver the squeegee. I've never done a driveway with a roller for comparison, but I HAVE used a roller on my very large deck and found it to be tedious and slow.

All I meant was that a roller made things look good but may not do such a good job. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, He meant actually SEAL the driveway not just paint at it a little bit so it looks sort of sealed. You know with sealer not used motor oil.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

This may or may not refer to coating. Have you ever heard of a blacktop driveway from which you could not remove mud? From the time my driveway was installed if anone walked on it with muddy shoes the mud would have to wear away and that took a long time. Even today, 2 years later I cannot remove mud. The company refused to take responsibility. Any ideas?