Thread: Fruit Flies

Fruit Flies

being inundated with fruit flies. What are the best traps and or remedies. I know we need to cleanse the breeding ares, just don't know where they are...cleaned the recycle bucket, put all the fruit in fridge or outside, hot water down the drains but still many flies...help!

Re: Fruit Flies

If they are common fruit flies like we used in biology 101 (little guys with red eyes) they run about 2 weeks per cycle and females lay about 800 eggs so if you don't find the source they will carry you away. Apparently we get bananas from the market with fruit fly eggs on them and then it is like a mini-plague.

Here is a source of some suggestions for getting rid of the little buggers.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fruit-Flies

I found it using a secret old world research method known only to selected members of the secret research society (must be ring wearing, card carrying, founding and sustaining member of the Google users.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We use a $2.50 special fly trap fueled by sugar water and purchased at Princess auto. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

A small funnel in the opening of a 2 liter pop bottle with sugar water and a trace of vinegar in it will work fairly well and costs way less than $2.50 (US OR CAN)

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I like the trap we have as the cap is so designed to catch the little critters as they go upward. It also works well on flies. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks all....I tried the inverted bottle top and also "funnelled" a coffe filter...both attract and trap the buggers but their cousins, sisters and brothers are still partying in the kitchen - we'll keep at it...or stop eating fruit!

Thanks

my friend swears by a 1/4 cup vinegar with a drop of dish soap set out on the counter overnight--I personally haven't tried it (no fruit flies to kill yet) [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]