Thread: Off label worming methods for dogs

Off label worming methods for dogs

Greetings!

I've herd that you can worm your dogs with the following off label methods:

1/10 cc per lb dog of 1% Ivamec and
    1 lb dog = 10 lb horse for horse paste wormer.

I was wondering if anyone has used these methods or has talked with a vet regarding them? Have they worked well?

Thanks!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Katrinaville LA west of Westwego east of Ama south of River Ridge north of Boutte, above sea level

Re: Off label worming methods for dogs

Your dosage of 6 cc of ivermectin for a 60 pound dog would definitely kill the worms and probably the dog too, especially if it is a collie. This is way too much ivermectin to give any dog for any reason as ivermectin is not a safe product to use on dogs except in very low doses such as Heartgard pills have which is about 1/10 cc for a 60 pound dog. Overdoses of ivermectin that don't kill a dog usually wind up being toxic to their liver and kidneys in later years.

If you want to use a SAFE, CHEAP off label wormer on dogs use Strongid P horse wormer which is pyrantel pamoate, the same ingredient as in Evict, Nemex and most other dog wormers. Squirting about an inch of paste out of the tube to give to a 50 pound dog is safe and sure.

I ask my horse vet that question and she said she would not do it to her dogs. For what ever that is worth.

I have had dogs for over 20 years now- currently have 10, all have lived until very old age and have all been treated with Ivomec the liquid Cattle wormer- 1 cc per every 100 pounds monthly. I would agree use caution with sitehounds . moearle