Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Repair

Trailer Repair

Last Monday I noticed a broken drag link on my trailer. Repair time it was. Rebuilt all the suspension on the trailer and decided to replace all the tires. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The grins only lasted til payment time for the tires. Marathon 225 x 15R load range C. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Trailer Repair

Yep, from the looks of that photo, I'd said it was time to do a little repairs. And I can't remember what I paid for Marathon tires in August, 1990, but they were load range D when I replaced the 3500 pound axles under my fifth-wheel with custom built 5200 pound axles, using the 6000 pound axle tubes, 12" brakes, 6 lug hubs, etc. Those axles cost me $729.97 but I don't find any record of the tire cost.

The tires cost about $170 dollars Marathon load range C on 6000 pound axles.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The tires cost about $170 dollars Marathon load range C on 6000 pound axles.

[/ QUOTE ]

$170 for how many? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I thought they were in the vicinity of $80 each plus or minus a little bit.

That was per tire and I needed four. Our prices up here are a tad higher than yours.

Wow, I'd say your prices really are higher. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I just had 4 new tires put on my little Ford Ranger pickup (B.F.Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A 225/70R15) and mounting, balancing, new valve stems, any flat repair in the future, re-balance on request, rotate every 6k miles, sales tax, and old tire disposal fee came to a grand total of $426.55. Base price started out at $89 per tire.

A few months back the truck got four new Goodyear's 245x16R load range E for a little over $1200. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ahh, a "first liar doesn't stand a chance" post.

Try buying a set of 6 Michelin steel belted load range E 245/70-19.5 M&amp;S (highway tread is about the same.) These are regroveable but They rot off before they wear out so regroving is not practical for me. At the Tire rack they are $291 each plus $34.92 each for road hazard. This is nearly $2000. Installation is $15-20 each for $90 to $120 more. Shipping is another $100.

Not sure of taxes but they add up too. The Tire Rack isn't the most expensive place to buy but I suppose it would not be impossible to find them cheaper somewhere but not significantly cheaper.

I have over 60,000 miles on the current set and they are no where near worn out but were installed over 8 years ago. They will need to be retired based on age eventually even though they aren't worn out. Not badly cracked on sidewalls, yet, since I painted them with UV/Ozone protectant when new.

I may be looking for less expensive lower mileage tires since the vehicle is a '97 and has just over 79,000 miles. No use in buying a super mileage tire if it is going to rot off before it e=wears out.

Pat

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    a "first liar doesn't stand a chance" post

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Pat, fortunately for me, I'm running cheaper tires now, but I used to have a motorhome with those 19.5" wheels. But I sold it before it had to have new tires. One of my brothers lives in a 21,000 pound Carriage fifth-wheel with 3 axles and I know he paid over $200 each for his tires. But the other brother lives in a 1992 motorhome that has the original 19.5" tires on it. Of course it hasn't been moved the last 6 or 7 years except a very short trip once a year to get a new state safety inspection sticker. Anyway, he told me last week that he guessed he should buy new tires.

And I'm wondering whether I'm going to have to buy a new set of tires for our '01 Windstar and it looks like they're going to cost close to $500 for a set of 4; $491.50 to be exact, if I bought them right now.

I have found that sometimes you can buy over the internet from "The Tire Rack" or similar and have them shipped to you or your install shop for less than a local tire shop will sell the tires to you (including your paying the install of the "mail order" tires.

I guess it pays to shop.

The 6 Alcoa aluminum wheels and the 19.5 Michelins on my 1 ton Dodge (plus the steel wheel and tire for the spare) came mounted and inflated on pallets ready to install, delivered to my house for less than I coilid buy them anywhere in San Diego county.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"