Thread: Oil Pipes for $$ - Is it worth the work?

Oil Pipes for $$ - Is it worth the work?

The previous owner left me several metal pipes that were taken off some old oilfield equipment. Some of this piping is quite long. Is it worth my time/effort to cut these pipes down and take them to a metal shop for the money? I could probably get soemone to just come and haul them away and let them get the money. What kind of saw would be best for cutting these pipes? Some of them are pretty thick.

I also have some cement pipes that run under roads. The previous owner installed these for a living. I have a few smaller ones and some of the really big ones. Any idea what I can do with these? Would anyone want to buy these, or should I just get rid of them?
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

Re: Oil Pipes for $$ - Is it worth the work?

Eric, If you weld you can use the pipes for fence braces and corner posts or corral parts or...

If you just want the stuff gone, I'd be thrilled to come get the stuff out of your way, buy your lunch, and make a charitable contribution to your charity of choice (or default to the boy and girl scouts of America.)

To cut thick wall pipe efficiently you will need a really big plasma cutter (thousands of dollars) a good HD O-A cutting torch and bottles of O2 and acetylene (propane is a little cheaper but way slower) or a good industrial duty chop saw (14 inch or larger abrasive cut off saw.)

You can do the job with lesser tools but you won't enjoy the work. I have made 10-20 cuts through pipe like that per Sawzall blade but it is slow and not fun. A cheap HF type chopsaw may not last through the job. Manual hacksaw will get 'er done but your blisters will have blisters.

PM me if you'd like me to come get the pipe.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Drilling pipe also makes a very good trailer.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

I have seen a farm near me use concrete pipes turned up on end and with an arch cut into the bottom to make a neat outdoor fireplace.

Update:

I drove home at 40-45 as the load of pipe put the CG too far aft and uncontrollable fishtailing started above 50MPH. It was a self inflicted wound as I wanted to preserve as many long pieces as possible. Funny thing, it was somewhat more work for one guy (me) to unload what 3 1/2 guys loaded working several hours. I "cheated" and used my tractor to help. I have it all off the ground on RR ties.

I have already started cutting and welding and did get a couple surprises when I found "soft spots" in some of the lengths. We expected this and there are "no worries, mate." So far I have made a couple stretch fixtures for fences and a corner fixture. I was able to cut about 12 inches off the end of one of the larger pipes, split it in half lengthwise and use it to "splint" two shorter pieces of the large pipe to make an 8 ft post.

I had a brain storm about how to carry long pieces without having the big rear overhang. Build an assy to put in the stake pockets to "loft" the front end of the pipe above the height of the bed of the truck. Then the next set of stake pockets back will have a shorter "H" shaped pipe rack and the next will be shorter yet, all in a straight line. At the back end you have a "toe rail" to keep the pipe from slipping backward and dragging the road. should be able to carry up to about 25-30 ft pieces.

It will raise the CG a bit so no hard cornering and no super low overheads. Probably will not matter as I may never find another heap of old pipe owned by a nice guy who helps me cut and load.

Pat

I'm guessing you didn't use the Prius as a tow vehicle?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Sorry, No, the Prius wasn't the tow vehicle. I used the 2008 Super Duty F-250 crew cab 4x4 with PowerJoke diesel V-8 with automatic tranny. I certainly was not power limited as that engine is pretty darned peppy. I got the same mileage driving to the site towing an empty trailer at the speed limit (65 on hwy and 70 on interstate) as I did driving 40-45 with a big load.

The tow/haul mode offers alternate programing for the shifting and on cruise (in tow haul mode) will down shift on a down grade to try to avoid overspeed where typically an auto tranny will upshift and destroy any engine braking.

We avoided the interstate although 40 is the min legal speed and got to see lots of the countryside at the leisurely speed of 40-45.

(Even) In Mississippi most folks wouldn't want to use much of this pipe for a trailer as much of it is quite corroded. Still much of it is suitable for fence posts, corral repairs, and other applications where catastrophic failure is not life threatening. I wouldn't use a lot of it for supporting overhead loads.

Something like 20% of it seems to be in really good condition, not new but really good used condition.

Eric and his buddy worked like Trojans to help get it cut up and loaded (and were missed when absent at the unloading.)

I am pleased to have met Eric and his buddy (Sean?) and to have had the opportunity to contribute to the fun fund. It was a nice outing and I was going to have to scrounge up pipe from who knows where so getting it all at once was a good thing and that convenience helped offset the logistics of the long drive.

Earllier I said, "A cheap HF type chopsaw may not last through the job." Mine didn't! The HF saw was hardly used prior to this exercise. The trigger switch got flaky and then failed completely by the time the third cut was made. I opened it up at home and see that I can replace the switch and it will be OK. Luckily I took my DeWalt (not bottom of the line) chopsaw and it made a zillion cuts using up 3 blades. Cheap blades do not last as long as good blades but cut just fine. My estimatioin is that the cheap blades are cheaper per cut but you do have to carry more spares and stop to change blades more often (but not THAT often.)

Pat

Pat, it was nice to meet you also. And we enjoyed the workout. It was kinda funny, Jay was just saying that morning "I never have an opportunity to work out my upper body anymore". He wasn't saying that after we got done loading.

I think it worked out well for both parties. I got the pipes off my property, and Pat got some fencing material. And for those of you that might make a deal with Pat in the future, he comes to work, he brings the tools you need, he buys lunch and he brings cash - so no worries.

Pat, be sure and update this page with some pictures when you reach that point. Thanks again.
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

Pat bought lunch?? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Check your back pocket! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

OOPS, How soon they forget. Now I wonder who the heck is Sean and where did I meet him??? Anyway I'm glad to have been able to assist JAY to get an upper body workout. I did mention to him at one time that people pay good money to go indoors and get a workout not as good as what you and I provided him and we didn't charge him a thing, plus it was outdoors in fresh air.

I have had a few surprises when welding and burning through when I didn't expect it but that is due to a lack of proper care on my part. I should inspect better before using.

I used a couple 3 ft lengths of pipe to make flag holders for a float entered in the local high school homecoming parade and have built a couple corner fixtures and a couple stretch fixtures. I also "splinted" some of the short pieces of the larger pipe to make 8 footers for posts.

I wish my generator would have not chosen that time to get a clog in the carb. I would have liked to have been able to run the plasma cutter and of course I would have needed it to supply 240VAC as you weren't wired that way in your utility building.

I just finished welding a stretch fixture I customized to weld onto an existing corner post for some new fencing. I did the call Okie thing and everyone came out an located their lines but they have a +/- 2 ft allowance and there are so many buried cables on my highway frontage that I had to drop back a couple feet for the new fence to avoid the cables. They don't give depth, just approximate plan view location. There cables wander a bit so I will have to hand dig a few post holes to be sure I'm not hitting fiber optic or any of the myriad phone lines, major trunk or local service. Unfortunately my hands don't seem to be a good fit for a pair of idiot sticks (AKA post hole digger.) I really hate it when I can't use the PHD (post hole digger/auger on the 3PH.)

I'll post some snaps as soon as we make more visible progress on the fencing job. I absolutely want to get the highway frontage fenced in so I can have a few acres connected to my corral and barn in which to sequester my first time heifers. I don't want to have to have an "Easter egg hunt" for each one while in labor or to find the calf. They typically like to hide in virtually impenetrable brush or other "secretive" locations which are not conducive to low vet bills should professional assistance be required.

Pat