Thread: Nitrogen/Phosphate/Potash where to purchase

Nitrogen/Phosphate/Potash where to purchase

So I have had a very bad growing year. Sent a sample to Cornell Labs. need Nitrogen 90-110 lbs, Phosphate 100 lbs,
    Potash 180 lbs where in New York can I purchase the recommended fertilizer amendments? And at what cost? Any help out there, will be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Nitrogen/Phosphate/Potash where to purchase

Surely there is a local feed/seed co-op or farm supply near by. How much are you needing? And spread over how many acres?

Not sure you realize that the figures they gave from the soil analysis is amounts required PER ACRE. Much of the cost of fertilizer is shipping so you don't want to buy if from very far away unless we are talking about a flower bed and not 40 or 400 acres.

So until you supply more info the best answer anyone could give is:

It depends.

Pat
    Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

So I have had a very bad growing year. Sent a sample to Cornell Labs. need Nitrogen 90-110 lbs, Phosphate 100 lbs, Potash 180 lbs where in New York can I purchase the recommended fertilizer amendments? And at what cost? Any help out there, will be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi MOLLYSMASTER,

If you visit any store selling chemical fertilizer you will find a series of numbers like "10-10-12" in many different number configurations. The first number is 10% Nitrogen, the second is 10% Phosphate, the third is 12% Potassium (NPK).

I am certain I will be corrected if'n I'm mistaken.... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hypothetically, you need 1000 pounds of "10-10-18" per acre.

I believe 10-10-18 is NOT a common number, but you should be able to find a combination of different numbers to make a match or at least a near match. Example, 1000 pounds of 5-5-10 and 1000 pounds of 5-5-8. Again, I believe the 5-5-8 is not an available number but I think you can see what I am saying?

Bob
    I was taught to respect my elders but it's getting harder to find any!

This isn't an exact science and variation is your sampling technique can introduce errors larger than the mismatch in your stated needs and standard fertilizer availability.

If you are getting a sample for a relatively large area it is altogether normal to expect a variation in needs over the area. Ordinarily you will do OK by taking many samples scattered more or less evenly around the land in question and then thoroughly mixing the samples together and having the mixture analyzed.

I have a quarter section (1/2 mile by 1/2 mile) and the soil maps for this area show me to have 5 distinctly different widely varying types of soil. If you wanted to get really picky, I'd have to treat the 5 types differently. I do to an extent but not rigidly. I tend to average things together (as encouraged by the soil experts at the county extension office.)

When pricing fertilizer the cost per ton IS NOT a good point of comparison. If you could buy triple 13 (13-13-13) for $xx.xx per ton and could buy 10-10-10 for $yy.yy dollars per ton which is the best deal? You have to convert the numbers to what is actually in the fertilizer.

If the one fertilizer contains 10% N that is 200 lbs of N per ton. The total tons of fertilizer is not the important factor. The actual amount of N, P, or K is what counts so don't compare $/ton costs. Nitrate fertilizer is tougher to get since the terrorists made it a BAD THING. but lets compare nitrate pellets to urea (another source of N) IF urea has 20% more N per ton than nitrates but only costs 15% more then it is the best bargain although it costs more per ton. You get more actual N/$.

Hope this was not too confusing. If you didn't get it from my description, ask and some others will probably be able to make it clear.

Don't forget your Ph. You may need lime too.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"