Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local sights

Local sights

My SIL and her hubby recently visited and we took them to see a couple local sights.
    \
    www.meersstore.com/main.html The Meers store and its famous burgers was our lunch stop.

Oklahoma is celebrating its centennial now as it achieved statehood in 1907. The Meers store is older.
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Local sights

We drove up the spiral road to the top of Mt. Scott near the Wichita Wildlife area (close to Ft. Sill/Lawton, Oklahoma.)

Yes, Oklahoma has some hills here and there, we don't look like Kansas. You can see some lakes down below. We have oodles of lakes (more miles of shoreline to fish than Minnesota.)

I'm the one in the black hat (or is it just the way she is holding the grapefruit?) Note, I do not have a death grip on the railing or a safety harness.

Another direction, another lake...

Ok, enough of the lakes visible from Mt. Scott...

Here is where we had a picnic by one of our ponds. There wasn't a feeding frenzy but there was a few fish taking turns jumping out of the water while taking bugs to eat.

Some willows and cat tails around the picnic site.

We also took them to Wide Open Wednesday at the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Museum. (FoMoCo paid for all admissions for several consecutive Wednesdays)

I won't post a jillion pix but here is one exhibit that is widely regarded. It is entitles "The End of the Trail."

In this larger than life sized statuary the highest point of the work (the lance) is about 20 ft above the floor.

Duke Wayne's eye patch from "True Grit" lots of his pistols and on and on and on are on exhibit. The "Quigly Down Under" rifle on loan previously by Tom S. was not there this time.

I believe it is impossible to actually see all the exhibits in a single day even if you are an honor graduate of a speed reading course and wear track shoes. So many original Remington's and such to view. Oodles of Indian jewelry, artifacts and so much as to boggle the mind.

A good lunch spot too with cloth napkins and table cloths as well as metal utensils! Extensive bill of fare to select from or a terrific buffet. Also soup and sandwiches.

Pat

Nice photos. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Did you drive the prius, the dodge or the ford?? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's been 40 years since I was up around Lawton and Ft. Sill. In fact, I was up there 40 years ago recruiting and spent most of my time at the USO in Lawton. I hope to get back up that way one of these days.