Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Local sights

Re: Local sights

Egon and Bird, Thanks for the replies my friends. I drove the Prius which is comfortable for 4 people and very fuel economical. The Ford is great for 4 too but gets less than 1/3 the fuel economy of the Prius. However one night on the way to Ada for BBQ at the famous Bob's BBQ I wanted to drop off my tractor for some maint so I took the Ford as the Prius doesn't do trailers with tractors on them.

I pulled into the parking lot and tried a turn. Another couple cars got in the way and things got confused and went from mediocre to yuck in about 10 seconds. I unhitched the now empty trailer, put a chain on the tongue and turned it 90 degrees and re hitched now facing OUT of the parking lot.

I got a family sampler which the waitress said would feed 7 (we were 4) and it was magnificient. The left overs went into an insulated bag which the restaurant filled with ice. The leftovers made a dinner and a lunch for 4. The total at the restaurant including ice tea was almost $30. We were not an expensive date!

We got fairly close in an area of open range to a small herd of buffalo (American Bison). My SIL in tan with back to camera was designated photographer for the great shaggy beasts and I am still waiting for copies of those shots which I will sort through for a few to post here.

I previously parked the Prius on the edge of a blacktop road in the wildlife area and a HUGE buffalo walked slowly by on the edge of the road. We could have reached out the window and touched it. You could hear the breathing very clearly and also hear the animal rip a mouthful of grass and chew. It was fun and interesting but not a good photo op as we were too close to get the animal in the frame and the pilot in command (me) refused to let anyone out of the car (as if there wre volunteers.)

Bird, You may have some difficulty adjusting to the changes that have evolved in the Lawton area, including Ft. Sill. The area has grown considerably and the population has grown a bunch. Lots of sub divisions within a few miles of "town" where before there was just scrub and prairie. My aunt is still living in the same house as from the 50's. A cousin, her daughter, lives out near Cache in a subdivision where everyone has a small acreage. Houses are so far apart you can sneeze with a window open and not have neighbors shout back gesundheit!

Oh, and if anyone cares, I'm the one in the Johny Cash suit (all black.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yep, Pat, I'm sure there wouldn't be much I'd recognize in that area anymore. We moved from Marlow 51 years ago and I think I've only been back to Marlow once, in 1962, and then twice to Lawton in 1967. But I have fond memories of Marlow; still think it was just about the best place I ever lived.

I like the hat Pat! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Parking lots with trailers are really no problem. Just use the Braille method of backing and turning! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Back in Alberta there are a few parks with Woodland Bison? and quite a few Buffalo raising farms so they are a pretty common sight. As are elk and deer in several of the parks.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Taken on the streets of Tombstone yesterday sunday the 21 of Oct. Local sites? Click to enlarge.

Nice Deuce! Is it yours? I have a buddy with a deuce as one of his cars. He calls it his military surplus RV. Put in a pallet of firewood, a 55 gal water barrel, some supplies and stuff and head for the desert.

Seeing the "western color" (folks with iron on their hips) reminds me of a Hamilton Avnet (electronic component supplier) customer appreciation blowout I attended near San Diego. My then partner and I wore sixguns (with blanks) and I got conscripted to participate in a staged shootout. I imagine these days wearing a .44 mag on your hip in public would get you arrested, psychiatrically examined, chemically calmed and locked away for the rest of your life. That was about 72-73.

Neat pix. Thanks for sharing.

I'm still waiting for the buffalo pix but will get them.... some day.

Pat

I think Tombstone wouldn't be a bad area to live in. We only spent a few hours there in January, 1990, but as tourists found the Birdcage Threater to be one of the most interesting places, although Boothill and the OK Corral were also interesting.

Not my deuce. That one is kinda a basteredized one way far from original. There is a real nice M35 in town also. Won't find many .44mag's here but a whole lot of .45 colt and .44/40.

Bird they got two new touristy things going I have not done either but I hear they are good . A ghost tour of all the haunted places that takes place at night including the Birdcage. And an underground tour of one of the mines.

Here is a cow calf pair running in open range at the Wichita National Wildlife Refuge near Lawton, OK.

A couple more grazers.

And here is da MAN!

Anyone have a clue why I can't post a JPG photo larger than about 450x317 ?

I'd have thought 600x400 would be OK but NO WAY!

Pat