Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Local sights

Re: Local sights

Of course many years ago I saw the bison in the Lawton, OK, area, but I'll also never forget when I was a teenager and Ardmore, OK, tried to get a zoo started at the county fair grounds. One of the exhibits was a cow, calf, and bull bison in a chain link fenced pen. I walked up to the fence and the calf was right on the other side of the fence. I didn't try to touch the calf or anything like that, and the adults didn't "charge", but the bull slowly walked toward me (I thought maybe to see if I had something for him to eat) and when he got about a foot from the fence, he lowered his head, and just walked into the fence and moved both me and the fence back 3 or 4 feet. Needless to say, I very promptly decided to put a lot more distance between me and that bull.

My uncle who lived in Lawton, got chased around a tree one time by a mama whose calf he approached too closely to get a better picture with his Brownie box camera. Another time he spent several hours in a pond because a buffalo took after him , chased him into a pond, went after him ever time he tried to get out and hung out waiting for him for several hours.

Here is one of the four we kept to make a dinner for the four of us after the big adventure to Lawton. To put the fish into perspective, I wear size XXL gloves.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We have lots of these little aerial acrobats.

This has been quite a year for butterflies and moths. Some of them are nice to look at but their caterpillars slicked hole sections of my wheat and rye before we noticed and sprayed them. Luckily the wheat recovered but since it had been eaten to the ground it came up looking like it had been mowed with flat tops to the leaves not pointed ones.

Pat

My SIL took this snap of sunrise over our homestead.

Pat