Thread: Barrel Composter Parts

Barrel Composter Parts

I've got about a dozen 55gal poly barrels at home and was looking to turn one or more of them into barrel composters. I have a pretty good design in mind, but was wondering if anyone makes a rotating cradle that would allow for the barrel to rotate in a horizontal orientation.

Re: Barrel Composter Parts

Are you thinking something like this? composter

Yes. That looks like what I want to do. Thanks for the reply and the link.

Kevin

I have seen one similar to that. The end opposite the holes was half way cut out (like a big "D" and hinged. Don't know why one would be better than another. You don't need 4 wheels, three will do, two on one side and one on the other. and they don't have to be rotating castor wheels as the fixed non-steering ones work fine.

HF has good sized wheels for a low price.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

So if I placed the door on the end I could put two on the back of the drum and one on the front. I hadn't considered that. Thanks Pat. I just happen to have three casters that I bought for another purpose, but never used.

You asked, "Thanks Pat, how would it work with three wheels instead of four?"

It will be like a three legged stool. Put two wheels on one side, one fairly near each end and put the other one in the middle of the opposite side. The side with two wheels needs the wheels near the end of the drum so when the load is not balanced the drum will not try to stand up vertically and fall off or interfere with turning it.

If this assy were to be turned quickly you'd want little stops to limit travel along the axis of rotation but compost is not a centrifugal force dependent operation and a minimum of care will keep the barrel on the wheels for most folks. Me, I'd put the stops on so the barrel can't move along the axis of rotatiion far enough to come off of a wheel.

Remember to keep your green and brown ratio optimized, maintain the appropriate moisture level and temperature for good decomposition.

Mostly when I composted I did it on the ground with RR ties for walls and no top. Not optimum by a long shot but a great source of red worms for bait.

Pat
    Pat.

The inside of a plastic drum is pretty smooth. Might it be a good idea to mount a paddle or two on the inside to ensure that the contents tumble and mix rather than just slide around the inside as the drum rotates. You have paddles, or fins, on the inside of your clothes dryer drum, and your concrete mixer. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Excellent suggestion, Gary. I have cut up quite a number of plastic barrels for various uses and I can attest to the slick surface.

Fins or bolts (stainless) or anything to assure the material turns over will do.

Pat

I'd not thought of the bolt idea. That's a bit easier than making fins or paddles. A 1/2" or 5/8" bolt about 4" long with a few fender washers and a locking nut would be great.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, for longevity, I'd use stainless. I pay $6 for a good used plastic 55 gal drum. You could cut chunks out of the ends of a drum to get paddles complete with a right angle mounting surface, Just drill the holes and bolt them on. Maybe a little more work but less cost than all the stainless hardware required to replace paddles. A Sawzall goes through a plastic drum like a knife through soft butter.

Pat